|Robert Lincoln Beacher
He was born at home at 35 N Main Street in Shenandoah.
He contracted a disease in Sierra Leone, Africa, where he was conducting a research project.
Noted events in his life were:
1. Moved: 31 Oct 1924, Allentown, Lehigh, PA. 12
2. Census in 1930 in Allentown, Lehigh, PA. 13 14 The 1930 Census in Allentown recorded owning a $15,000 home at 224 South 16th St.: Benjamin F. Beacher, mechanical engineer, 53, living with his wife, Bertha P., 45; daughter Ruth E., 24, occupation piano teacher; and sons B. Donald, 16; John H., 13; Bruce F., 10;, and Robert L., 5. Their home had a radio. Everyone and their parents were born in Pennsylvania.
3. Newspaper: Allentown Morning Call: Beacher Family Entertains, on 30 Jan 1932, in Allentown, Lehigh, PA. 15 15 The Men's Bible class of Grace E. C. church, Fifteenth and Turner streets. Rev. H. E. M. Snyder, pastor, sponsored an unusual supper party and program in the social rooms of the church last evening. It was called a "Family Night" and was attended by almost 100 persons, members of the class with their wives. So successful was the affair that it will be a regular event at intervals throughout the year. John I. Baker, president of the class, was a capable toastmaster during the dinner program, which featured two addresses by William Thomas and Rev. D. G. Reinhold. Mrs. H. C. Pottelger entertained with vocal solos. Following the dinner, there was an entertainment program staged by the Beacher family, which includes: Mr. and Mrs. B. Beacher, Mrs. Ruth Beacher Horn and Donald, John, Bruce and Bobby Beacher. The group formed an orchestra and offered instrumental numbers; there were also a number of songs, piano duets and solos, etc. The program concluded with a demonstration of various types of Indian war dances, performed by the Beacher boys in costume.
4. Census in 1940 in Allentown, Lehigh, PA. 16 The 1940 Census recorded at 224 16th Street in Allentown Benjamin F. Beacher, 62, living with wife Bertha P., 54; and sons John H., 23; Bruce F., 20; and Robert L., 15. Benjamin owned the home valued at $10,000. Benjamin had completed 4 years of high school, his wife and Robert 2 years. John and Bruce had completed 4 years of college. Benjamin was employed as a utility man in an office. Bruce was a soil technician with the Department of the Interior.
5. Newspaper: Morning Call, 12 Jul 1936, Allentown, Lehigh, PA. 17 To Get Charter Tonight
6. Newspaper: Morning Call: Robert Beecher Is Third of His Family Named Chief of Scout Organization, 15 Apr 1941, Allentown, Lehigh, PA. 18
7. Newspaper: Allentown Morning Call:, 5 Apr 1942, Allentown, Lehigh, PA. 19 Robert Beacher, son of Mr. and Mrs. Benjamin F. Beacher, 224 S. 16th St., who is a freshman at Penn State college, spent a short holiday with his parents over the Easter weekend. He will return to college this morning.
8. Military from 14 Dec 1942 to 21 Oct 1945 in State College, Centre, PA: Army Air Corps Reserves. 20 Name:
9. He was described as 5' 9 1/4" 150 lbs. Brown eyes, black hair, dark complexion on 14 Dec 1942 in Allentown, Lehigh, PA. 4
10. Residence: On hiis WWII Draft Registration he listed residence at 224 South 16th Street, Allentown, Pa.. But mailing address Alpha Zeta, State College, PA. His occupation was student at Pennsylvania State College. On 14 Dec 1942 in Allentown, Lehigh, PA. 4
11. Newspaper: Allentown Morning Call, 19 Aug 1945, Page 3. 21 Lieutenant and Mrs. R. L. Beacher of Panama City, Fla., are visiting Lieutenant Beacher's parents, Mr. and Mrs. B. F. Beacher, of 224 S. 16th St. Lieutenant and Mrs. John Beacher will leave today for Tampa, Fla., where Lieutenant John is stationed at the Malaria Control Center.
12. Newspaper: Morning Call: "Lieutenant Robert L. Beacher of this city was discharged from the Army Air Forces at separation center headquarters at Tyndall Field. Fla.", 16 Oct 1945, Allentown, Lehigh, PA. 22
13. He was educated at Penn State University in 1946 in State College, Centre, PA. 23
14. Newspaper: Morning Call: Local Couples Living In Trailers at 'State', 9 Feb 1946, Allentown, Lehigh, PA. 24 Allentonians are among residents of "Windcrest," unusual trailer community established on the Penn State campus last fall, when married veterans enrolled under the GI Bill of Rights were unable to find accommodations. They are Mr. and Mrs. Robert L. Beacher, 224 S. 16th St.. and Warren R. Adams and his family, 1133 W. Emaus Ave. Windcrest residents have elected their own municipal council with authority to levy and collect taxes, and a fire department. Comprising nearly 100 trailers, the community will be landscaped in spring
15. Newspaper: Morning Call: The Robert L. Beachers Parents of Daughter Their First Child, 11 Apr 1947, Allentown, Lehigh, PA. 25 Mr. and Mrs. B. F. Beacher of 224 S. 16th St. became grandparents for the ninth time with the arrival of a daughter, Nancy Lane Beacher, born April 3 to Mr. and Mrs. Robert L. Beacher at the Bellefonte. Pa., General hospital. Nancy is the Beachers' first child. Mrs. Beacher is the former Darlene Smith of Lincoln, Neb. Mr. Beacher served for two and a half years as a co-pilot in the army air forces. After his discharge from the army he returned to Penn State college where he was graduated in June, majoring in agronomy. He is employed at State college in the research department, while studying for his master's degree. He was graduated from Allentown High school in 1941 where he was a member of the band, and was also a member of the Blue band at Penn State. He has been actively associated with the Boy Scouts in Allentown and was councilor at Camp Trexler for two years.
16. Newspaper: Northwest Arkansas Times: Dr. Robert Beacher To Head Soil Laboratory, 20 Jul 1949, Fayetteville, Washington, AR. Dr. Robert L. Beacher has been appointed assistant professor of agronomy with the University College of Agriculture, it was announced today. His duties will deal largely with soil testing.
17. Occupation: Assistant professor of agronomy at the University of Arkansas College of Agriculture on 1 Aug 1949 in Fayetteville, Washington, AR. 26 Appointment of Robert L. Beacher as assistant professor of agronomy at the University of Arkansas College of Agriculture has been announced, effective August 1, 1949. He has been placed in charge of the college's soil testing laboratory and will also teach a course in soil fertility. He received his Ph.D. degree from Pennsylvania State College in June, 1949. He is a 1946 graduate of that school.
18. Newspaper: Morning Call: Begins Duties At Arkansas U., 3 Aug 1949, Allentown, Lehigh, PA. 27 Dr. Robert L. Beacher, son of Mr. and Mrs. B. F. Beacher of 1935 Greenleaf St., began his duties as head of the research laboratory in the department of agronomy at the University of Arkansas in Fayetteville, Ark., on Monday. The 25-year-old Allentown man was the youngest graduate to receive a doctor of philosophy degree at Penn State college in its history when he completed his studies there in agronomy in June 1. Dr. Beacher was graduated from Allentown High school in 1941 and entered Penn State that fall. He enlisted in the Army Air corps in 1943 and served two and a half years, after which he returned to Penn State. Four years ago he married Darlene Smith of North Platte, Neb. They have a two-year-old daughter, Nancy Lane Beacher.
19. Occupation: teacher at University of Arkansas on 23 Dec 1949 in Fayetteville, Washington, AR. 10
20. Residence: 33 W. Prospect, Apt 3, Fayetteville, AR on 22 Apr 1950 in Fayetteville, Washington, AR. 4
21. Newspaper: Morning Call: At Birthday Party, on 16 Jun 1950, in Allentown, Lehigh, PA. 28 28 Mrs. Ruth Beacher Horn entertained at a turkey dinner Saturday night at her home, 1024 Chew St., in honor of her mother, Mrs. Bertha P. Beacher, 1935 Greenleaf St., and her uncle, W. H. Snyder, 1233 Walnut St., who observed their 65th birthday anniversaries last Sunday. They are the twin children of the late Mr. and Mrs. Henry C. Snyder of Frackville.
22. Residence: on 12 Apr 1951 in Fayetteville, Washington, AR. 6
23. Newspaper: The Frederick Post, 8 Jun 1956, Frederick, Frederick, MD. 29 Irrigation farming offers one of the best hopes for decreasing unit costs and increasing profits for farmers in the Eastern half of the United States, it was indicated recently by speakers at a farm conference in the Mississippi-Arkansas Delta region.
24. Pan American Airways flight 157 from Rome, Italy to New York on 11 Sep 1956 in Rome, , Lazio, ITA. 30
25. Occupation: Southern Regional Director, National Plant Food Institute in 1960 in Atlanta, Fulton, GA.
26. Residence: in 1984 in Bossier City, Bossier, LA. 3
27. Cause of Death: leptospirosis, 19 Aug 1984, , , , Sierra Leone.
Robert married Dorothy Darlene Smith, daughter of Arthur Raymond Smith and Lucille R. Owen, on 7 May 1945 in Saint Francis, Cheyenne County, KS.1 2 (Dorothy Darlene Smith was born on 9 Apr 1927 in Lincoln, Lancaster, NE 2 11 31 32 and died on 23 Jan 2010 in Bernalillo, Sandoval County, NM 2 32 33.)
1 Genealogy Research conducted by Bruce Franklin Beacher Ph.D. (1919-2004).
2 Albuquerque Journal (Albuquerque, Bernalillo, New Mexico.), 1 Feb 2010, obituary of Dorothy Darlene Beacher.
3 U.S. Social Security Death Index.
4 Ancestry.com, Pennsylvania, Veteran Compensation Applications, WWII, 1950, Batch Control Number 15122, Robert Lincoln Beacher.
5 Playground Daily News (Ft. Walton, FL), 9 Jul 1972, page 15. Wedding of Pamela Gwen Van Dyke and Gary Robert Beacher.
6 Northwest Arkansas Times (Fayetteville, Arkansas), 12 Apr 1951, Thursday, Page 2, Births.
7 Ancestry.com, U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007 (Original data: Social Security Applications and Claims, 1936-2007.), SSN 190146058, Robert Lincoln Beacher, father Benjamin F. Beacher, mother Bertha P. Snyder.
8 Morning Call (Allentown, PA), 28 Sep 1941, page 21. Marriage Bruce Franklin Beecher and Betty Strayer.
9 Find A Grave, https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=180281493.
10 Republican and Herald (Pottsville, PA) (www.republicanherald.com), 24 Dec 1949, page 1. Obituary of Benjamin F. Beacher.
11 Beacher, Bruce Franklin, Beau-Chere, The Beacher Family Newsletter, Issue 1 Dec 1977.
12 The Evening Herald (Shenandoah, PA), 31 Oct 1924, page 8.
13 1930 United States Census, Enumeration District 37-38 Visit 430 Sheet 17A.
14 Zitkus, Mae Beacher (15 May 1978 Letter to Bruce Beacher).
15 Morning Call (Allentown, PA), 30 Jan 1932, page 7.
16 1940 United States Census, https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KQDF-TMJ Benjamin F Beacher, Ward 13, Allentown, Allentown City, Lehigh, Pennsylvania, United States; citing enumeration district (ED) 39-56, sheet 9B, family 195.
17 Morning Call (Allentown, PA), 12 Jul 1936, page 7.
18 Morning Call (Allentown, PA), 15 Apr 1941, page 2.
19 Morning Call (Allentown, PA), 5 Apr 1942, page 12.
20 United States, World War II Army Enlistment Records, 1938-1946 (www.FamilySearch.org), https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/K85M-TJ3 Robert L Beacher, 14 Dec 1942.
21 Morning Call (Allentown, PA), 19 Aug 1945, page 3.
22 Morning Call (Allentown, PA), 16 Oct 1945, page 6.
23 Ancestry.com, U.S. School Yearbooks, Penn State University, La Vie Yearbook, 1944-1946. Page 104. Robert Lincoln Beacher.
24 Morning Call (Allentown, PA), 9 Feb 1946, page 3.
25 Morning Call (Allentown, PA), 11 Apr 1947, page 30.
26 Agronomy Journal, Vol. 41 No. 10, Oct. 1949, p. 496-496 available online at https://www.soils.org/publications/aj/abstracts/41/10/AJ0410100496?access=0&view=pdf .
27 Morning Call (Allentown, PA), 3 Aug 1949, page 2.
28 Morning Call (Allentown, PA), 16 Jun 1950, page 28.
29 Frederick Post Newspaper, Frederick, Frederick County, Maryland, 08 Jun 1956 edition, page 32.
Ancestry.com, New York, Passenger Lists, 1820-1957 (Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at New York, New York, 1820-1897; (National Archives Microfilm Publication M237, 675 rolls); Records of the U.S. Customs Service, Record Group 36; National Archives, Washington, D.C.
Passenger and Crew Lists of Vessels Arriving at New York, New York, 1897-1957; (National Archives Microfilm Publication T715, 8892 rolls); Records of the Immigration and Naturalization Service; National Archives, Washington, D.C.
Supplemental Manifests of Alien Passengers and Crew Members Who Arrived on Vessels at New York, New York, Who Were Inspected for Admission, and Related Index, compiled 1887 - 1952; (National Archives Microfilm Publication A3461, 21 rolls); RG 85, Records of the Immigration and Naturalization Service, 1787 - 2004; Records of the Immigration and Naturalization Service; National Archives, Washington, D.C.), Year: 1956; Arrival: New York, New York; Microfilm Serial: T715, 1897-1957; Microfilm Roll: Roll 8778; Line: 9; Page Number: 236.
31 1940 United States Census, Year: 1940; Census Place: Kearney, Buffalo, Nebraska; Roll: T627_2238; Page: 10A; Enumeration District: 10-22.
32 Find A Grave, https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=180282031.
33 Social Security Death Index.