|Neander Augustus Gobrecht
Noted events in his life were:
1. He appeared on the census in 1860 in Franklin Twp., Adams, PA. 7 The 1860 census recorded Amanda Gobrecht, 27, living with son Neader, 8; Lydia Miller, 25; and Avilla Raffensberger, 1. The post office was Mummasburg.
2. He appeared on the census in 1870 in Franklin Twp., Adams, PA. 13 The 1870 census recorded George Thomas, carpenter, 42, living with wife Amanda, 38; Leander, carpenter, 18; Adeline, 16; Isabella, 14; Ellsworth, 8; Elmer, 6; and Emma, 4. Everyone was born in Pennsylvania. The post office was Arendtsville. [Note: Leander is surname Gobrecht by Amanda's 1st marriage.]
3. He appeared on the census in 1880 in Altoona, Blair, PA. 14 The 1880 census recorded Neander Gobrecht, laborer, 28, living with wife Clara J., 28; son George N., 5; and son Samuel B., 1. Everyone and their parents were born in Pennsylvania.
4. He appeared on the census in 1900 in Altoona, Blair, PA. 15 The 1900 census recorded at 123 3rd Avenue: Neader Gobrecht, carpenter, 49, born Sep 1851, living with wife Clara J., 48, May 1852; Edwin W., laborer, 20, Aug 1880; John C., 12, Sep 1888; and Irene C., 10, Jan 1890. Everyone and their parents were born in Pennsylvania. Clara was married for 29 years and had birthed 9 children, 5 still alive in 1900.
5. Magazine: The Pennsylvania-German: article about bibles of John Christopher Gobrecht and John Beecher owned by N.A. Gobrecht, Apr 1908, , , PA. 16 N. A. Gobrecht, Altoona, Pa., has in his possession a German Bible printed at Zurich, Switzerland, by Emanuel and Johann Rudolff, printers, 1729. It was brought over by John Christopher Gobrecht, the ancestor born October, 1733, at Angerstein, Hanover, Germany; landed September 11, 1753, at Philadelphia, from the ship "Queen of Denmark," Geo. Parish, captain; settled in Bucks county; studied theology under Rev. John George Alsentz, and was licensed 1764 as the first Reformed student under the care of Coetus in Pennsylvania; died at Hanover in 1815. He has also another German Bible printed by Christopher Sauer, Germantown, Pa., 1763, having family record of John Beecher and Elizabeth Keplinger, the ancestors of the numerous Beecher families in Adams and York counties, Pa. John Beecher was a soldier of the Revolution, died in his 90th year, August 1838, and was buried at Arendtsville, Pa. This Bible comes to N. A. Gobrecht by his wife, who is a Beecher descendant of the third generation. Both German Bibles are in good condition and are in the hands of a worthy member of the Pennsylvania German Society of Pennsylvania and are cherished by him as family heirlooms.
6. Newspaper: Altoona Tribune: "Mr. And Mrs. N. A. Gobrecht Have Revlatives at Dinner", 4 Apr 1921, Altoona, Blair, PA. 3 In commemoration of fifty happy years of married life, Mr. and Mrs. N. A. Gobrecht celebrated their golden wedding anniversary at their home, 309 East Grant avenue, Saturday, members of the immediate family attending. This couple thus richly favored with the mutual sharing of a golden half century of life's joys and vicissitudes, began their wedded life at Beechersville, Adams county, April 2, 1871, when the Rev. M. Snyder, pastor of the Lutheran church at that place, pronounced the words united in marriage Neander August Gobrecht and Miss Clara J. Beecher, the bride being a grand daughter of the founder of the town.
7. Obituary: Altoona Mirror: obituary of Neander A. Gobrecht on 1 Sep 1925 in Altoona, Blair, PA. 10 NEANDER A. GOBRECHT, A well known clerk at the Altoona car shops and resident of the Tenth ward, died in his home, 114 East Crawford Avenue, at 9:05 o'clock yesterday morning of complication of diseases. He had been in failing health for
8. Book: History of the John Christopher Gobrecht Family in America, 1977. 4
Neander married Clara Jane Beecher, daughter of Samuel M. Beecher and Sarah Ann Matilda Wagoner, on 2 Apr 1871 in Beechersville, Adams, PA.1 2 3 4 (Clara Jane Beecher was born on 1 May 1852 in Beechersville, Adams, PA 2 3 4 8 9 17 18, christened on 18 Jul 1852 in Arendtsville: Arendtsville Union Church (Zion Lutheran and Trinity Reformed; Arents Church), Adams, PA,4 17 died on 27 Jan 1937 in Altoona, Blair, PA 2 8 18 and was buried on 30 Jan 1937 in Altoona: Rose Hill Cemetery, Blair, PA 2 8 18.)
1 Republican Compiler (Gettysburg, PA), Gettysburg, Adams County, Pennsylvania, 21 April 1871- from Adams Co. card file.
2 Altoona Mirror (Altoona, PA) (Altoona, Blair County, Pennsylvania), 28 Jan 1937, obituary of Clara Jane Gobrecht.
3 Altoona Tribune (Altoona, Blair, Pennsylvania.), 4 Apr 1921, page 1.
4 Wilbur J. Gobrecht, History of the John Christopher Gobrecht family in America, 1763-1977 (Gobrecht Clan Book Committee, 1977 - 363 pages. Available online https://dcms.lds.org/delivery/DeliveryManagerServlet?dps_pid=IE74683&from=fhd FamilySearch.org books), Page 19.
5 Records of Sharon Swope (http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=nickol).
6 FamilySearch.org, Pennsylvania Births and Christenings, 1709-1950, https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/V2FG-K6P Neander Augustus Gobrecht, 19 May 1853; Christening, citing LUTHERAN AND REFORMED CHURCH,ARENDTSVILLE,ADAMS,PENNSYLVANIA; FHL microfilm 824351.
7 1860 United States Census, Year: 1860; Census Place: Franklin, Adams, Pennsylvania; Roll: M653_1057; Page: 104; Image: 108; Family History Library Film: 805057.
8 Ancestry.com, Pennsylvania, Death Certificates, 1906-1963 (Original data: Pennsylvania (State). Death certificates, 1906–1963. Series 11.90 (1,905 cartons). Records of the Pennsylvania Department of Health, Record Group 11. Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.), Death Certificate 2696. Clara Jane Gobrecht. Father Samuel M. Beecher. Mother Sara Anna May Waggoner. Spouse Neander A. Gobrecht.
9 Wilbur J. Gobrecht, History of the John Christopher Gobrecht family in America, 1763-1977 (Gobrecht Clan Book Committee, 1977 - 363 pages. Available online https://dcms.lds.org/delivery/DeliveryManagerServlet?dps_pid=IE74683&from=fhd FamilySearch.org books), Pages 3, 17, 19.
10 Altoona Mirror (Altoona, PA) (Altoona, Blair County, Pennsylvania), 1 Sep 1925, obituary of Neander A. Gobrecht.
11 Find A Grave, http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=116451955.
12 Pennsylvania Department of Health, Pennsylvania, Death Indices (Pennsylvania Division of Vital Records, New Castle, PA, 16103. Online at http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/community/public_records/20686 .), Death Certificate 77654, Neander A. Gobrecht. http://www.health.state.pa.us/indices/indices%20-%20death/1925%20Death/D-25%20G-G.pdf.
13 1870 United States Census, Year: 1870; Census Place: Franklin, Adams, Pennsylvania; Roll: M593_1289; Page: 128A; Image: 259; Family History Library Film: 552788.
14 1880 United States Census, Year: 1880; Census Place: Altoona, Blair, Pennsylvania; Roll: 1102; Family History Film: 1255102; Page: 186A; Enumeration District: 158; Image: 0706.
15 1900 United States Census, https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/M3MY-15Y Neander Gobrecht, Precinct 4 Altoona city Ward 8, Blair, Pennsylvania, United States; citing sheet 7B, family 138, NARA microfilm publication T623, FHL microfilm 1241381.
16 "Clippings from Current News," The Pennsylvania-German, Apr 1908, page 188; (https://books.google.com/books?id=DtMwAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA189#v=onepage&q=gobrecht&f=false).
17 Arendtsville Union Church (Zion Lutheran and Trinity Reformed; Arents Church), Adams County, Pennsylvania.
18 Find A Grave, http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=116434569.