|Martin Harold Bury
Noted events in his life were:
1. Census in 1900 in Salisbury Twp., Lehigh, PA. 10 The 1900 Census for Salisbury Township in Lehigh County lists Hubert Bury, age 43, born Apr 1857 in Germany, parents born in Germany, occupation jeweler, renting his home. He was married for 16 years to Martha A., wife, born Oct 1867 in Germany, parents born in Germany. In 1900 she had born seven children, four of whom were still living.
2. His Social Security Number was 159-05-0507. 11
3. Residence: Allentown City Directory: Bury Frank H, cashboy, h 1222 Gordon; Bury Hubert, watchmaker, res 1222 Gordon. Martha A.; Violet P., Martin in 1903 in Allentown, Lehigh, PA. 12
4. Residence: 1222 Gordon St., Allentown, PA on 24 Jul 1904 in Allentown, Lehigh, PA. 8
5. Census in 1910 in Allentown, Lehigh, PA. 13 Following the death of Martha Bury in 1904, we find her children living in 1910 with their older sister's husband. Horace N. Benfield, age 27, occupation house painter, is listed living at 229 West Street in Allentown in the 1910 Census in enumeration district 0160 as visit 0151. Living with him is his wife, Helen (nee Bury), age 24, whose birthplace is listed as Germany and 1885 as the year she immigrated, which is her year of birth. She was married to Horace for 4 years at in 1910 had no children born. Her marital status is listed as M2, which appears to indicate this was her second marriage -- Horace is listed as M1. Also in the household is brother-in-law Frank H. Bury, age 23, single, bookkeeper in a cement mill; sister-in-law Violet P. Bury, age 17, single, stichery in a shoe factory; and brother-in-law Martin H. Bury, age 11, single. Horace and his parents were born in Pennsylvania. Frank, Violet, and Martin were born in Pennsylvania with both parents born in Germany.
6. Newspaper: Allentown Democrat: "Miss Lizzie Knerr, Mr. And Mrs. H. Benfield, Martin Bury, Allentown, and W. Sotzing, Brooklyn, were the guests of Mr. And Mrs. F. H. Bury, 1014 Main St.", 27 Feb 1912, Allentown, Lehigh, PA. 14
7. Newspaper: Allentown Democrat: Martin Bury Ran Away, 14 Mar 1912, Allentown, Lehigh, PA. 15 RAN AWAY BECAUSE BOYS TEASED HIM
8. Occupation: purchasing agent for Structural Steel, Vanderstucker - Ewing Construction Co., Bethlehem, PA on 12 Sep 1918 in Bethlehem, Northampton, PA. 5
9. He was described as Tall, medium build, brown eyes, chestnut hair on 12 Sep 1918 in Allentown, Lehigh, PA. 5
10. Residence: 232 N. St. Cloud St., Allentown, PA on 12 Sep 1918 in Allentown, Lehigh, PA. 5
11. Newspaper: Allentown Democrat: 154 Men Examined by Draft Boards, 14 Nov 1918, Allentown, Lehigh, PA. 16 Both City Boards Held Physical Examinations Tuesday and Accepted Many
12. Census in 1920 in Allentown, Lehigh, PA. 17 The 1920 Census shows that renting a home at 938 Hamilton Street in Allentown was the household of Horace N. Benfield, age 37, paper hanger, living with wife Helen C., age 34. Living with them are Martin H. Bury, brother in law, 21, a purchasing agent in a steel works; and Helen B. Hale, age 6 [Helen's neice who is the daughter of Violet P. Bury]. Helen's parents were both born in Germany, as was she, and her date of immigration is listed as 1887 [although it really was 1885.]
13. Occupation: purchasing agent in the steelworks in 1920. 11
14. He filed for divorce from Florence Alvena Rauch about 1921. 1
15. Occupation: owner of Bury & Holman Inc. At 1415 North Broad Street in 1936 in Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA. 4
16. Residence: 12 Bryn Mawr Avenue on 25 Nov 1936 in Bala-Cynwyd, Montgomery, PA. 4
17. Census in 1940 in Lower Merion Twp., Montgomery, PA. 18 The 1940 census recorded owning a $27,000 home at 235 Gypsy Lane: Martin H. Bury, automobile merchant, 41, living with wife Jeanette P., 38; her brother-in-law J. Charles Parry, statistician at brokerage, 29; and a lodger, Mary B. Cleveland, secretary at automobile agency, 25, and servant, Martha A. Veneziale, maid, 22. All were born in Pennsylvania except Mary in New York.
18. Ship: Queen Elizabeth departing Southampton, England arriving New York on 13 Oct 1952 in New York, New York, NY. 19 Bury, Martin H., Valley Road, Villa Nova, PA. age 53, born PA. Bury, Jeannette P., age 51, born PA. 10 pieces of baggage.
19. Book: Martin wrote a book, "Rolling Wheels," available online at: http://archive.org/details/rollingwheels00buryrich, 1956.
20. Ship: Queen Elizabeth departing New York arriving Southampton, England on 19 Aug 1957 in Southampton, , HAM, ENG. 9 Bury, Martin, b. 28.10.98; Bury, Jeannette, b. 3.10.01. Address: Palace Hotel, Burgenstock, Switzerland. Occupation: car dealer. 2 days in U.K.
21. Residence: on 17 Jun 1959 in Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA. 7
22. Fact: Inducted in 1975 into the Automotive Hall of Fame. "Author of "The Automobile Dealer" and writer of scores of articles for automotive publications, he is honored for his outstanding contributions to the motoring public through his several dealerships.", 1975, Dearborn, Wayne, MI. 20
Martin married Florence Alvena Rauch, daughter of Albert J. Rauch and Bertha Alice George, on 19 Mar 1920 in Allentown, Lehigh, PA.1 2 (Florence Alvena Rauch was born on 11 Aug 1900 in Bittners Corner, Lehigh, PA 1.)
Noted events in their marriage were:
1. Martin and Florence obtained a marriage license on 19 Mar 1920 in , Lehigh, PA. 2 name:
Martin next married Jeannette Parry, daughter of Jesse Charles Parry and Annetta Bower, in 1930 in Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA. (Jeannette Parry was born on 3 Oct 1901 in Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA 3 9 21 22 and died in Aug 1979 in Haverford, Montgomery, PA 3 21.)
1 Schoch, Rhea-jean (Letter sent by email on 11/18/07 by Rhea-jean Schoch, granddaughter of Huburt Bury.).
2 FamilySearch.org, Pennsylvania, County Marriages, 1885 - 1950, https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/VF7Y-WPR marriage of Martin H. Bury and Florence Ranch, 1920.
3 U.S. Social Security Death Index.
4 Social Security Application Form.
5 Ancestry.com, U.S., World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918 (United States, Selective Service System. World War I Selective Service System Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration. M1509, 4,582 rolls.), Pennsylvania; Registration County: Lehigh; Roll: 1852508; Draft Board: 2. Martin Harold Bury.
6 FamilySearch.org, Pennsylvania, County Marriages, 1885 - 1950, https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VFW3-677 Franklin G. Schoch and Nanette J. Bury, 13 Sep 1941; citing Marriage, Pennsylvania, county courthouses, Pennsylvania; FHL microfilm 2,080,485.
7 Morning Call (Allentown, PA), 18 Jun 1959, page 55. Obituary of Frank H. Bury.
8 Morning Call (Allentown, PA), 25 Jul 1904, page 1. Obituary of Mrs. Herbert Bury.
9 Ancestry.com, UK, Incoming Passenger Lists, 1878-1960, Martin Bury and Jeanette Bury, Class: BT26; Piece: 1386; Item: 92, arrival 19 Aug 1957 on Queen Elizabeth.
10 1900 United States Census, Pennsylvania, Lehigh County, Salisbury Township, Series: T623 Roll: 1429 Page: 300.
11 The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, "FamilySearch," database, FamilySearch (http://new.familysearch.org : accessed 23 Apr 2013), entry for Martin Harold Bury, person ID KH4Y-4MM.
12 Ancestry.com, U.S. City Directories, 1822-1995, 1903 Allentown Directory, printed page 86, online image 45.
13 1910 United States Census, Pennsylvania, Lehigh County, Allentown Ward 11, Roll 1364 Book 1, Page 230.
14 Allentown Democrat (Allentown, Lehigh, Pennsylvania), 27 Feb 1912, page 2.
15 Allentown Democrat (Allentown, Lehigh, Pennsylvania), 14 Mar 1912, page 1.
16 Allentown Democrat (Allentown, Lehigh, Pennsylvania), 14 Nov 1918, page 5.
17 1920 United States Census, Pennsylvania, Lehigh County, Allentown Ward 3, Series: T625 Roll: 1588 Page: 124.
18 1940 United States Census, https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KQDR-YFG Martin H Bury, Lower Merion Township, Montgomery, Pennsylvania, United States; citing enumeration district (ED) 46-92, sheet 11B, family 189.
Ancestry.com, New York, Passenger Lists, 1820-1957 (Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at New York, New York, 1820-1897; (National Archives Microfilm Publication M237, 675 rolls); Records of the U.S. Customs Service, Record Group 36; National Archives, Washington, D.C.
Passenger and Crew Lists of Vessels Arriving at New York, New York, 1897-1957; (National Archives Microfilm Publication T715, 8892 rolls); Records of the Immigration and Naturalization Service; National Archives, Washington, D.C.
Supplemental Manifests of Alien Passengers and Crew Members Who Arrived on Vessels at New York, New York, Who Were Inspected for Admission, and Related Index, compiled 1887 - 1952; (National Archives Microfilm Publication A3461, 21 rolls); RG 85, Records of the Immigration and Naturalization Service, 1787 - 2004; Records of the Immigration and Naturalization Service; National Archives, Washington, D.C.), Martin H Bury and Jeanette P Bury, Year: 1952; Arrival: New York, New York; Microfilm Serial: T715, 1897-1957; Microfilm Roll: Roll 8225; Line: 12; Page Number: 9.
20 Automotive Hall of Fame (Automotive Hall of Fame, 21400 Oakwood Boulevard, Dearborn, Michigan 48124.), http://www.automotivehalloffame.org/inductee/martin-bury/254/.
21 Beacher, Isabel Bury, Records of Isabel Bury Beacher (Her family calendar).
22 1940 United States Census, https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KQFN-ZQ3 Florence A Quigley in entry for William L Quigley, 1940.