|William M. Beacher
Another name for William was William Bicher.
Tombstone reads: William Beacher, Ptv. Co. C., 194th Regt., Pa. Inf. - C. W., b 1838, d. 1900
Noted events in his life were:
1. He appeared on the census in 1850 in Pottsville, Schuylkill, PA. 14 In 1850 living in the South Ward of Pottsville is Jacob Bieger. Obviously the census taker was confused by his German pronounciation of his surname! Jacob Bieger, tailer, age 36, is living with wife Angeline, 35; William, 12; Jacob, 11; Hiram, 8; Benjamin, 6; George, 3; and Nathan, 8 months old when the census was recorded on 29 Aug 1850. Everyone was born in Pennsylvania.
2. He appeared on the census in 1860 in New Castle Twp., Schuylkill, PA. 18 In 1860 living in the New Castle Township is Jacob Bucher, day laborer, age 48, living with wife Angeline, 45; William, day laborer, 21; Jacob, day laborer, 19; Hiram, day laborer, 17; B. Franklin, day laborer, 15; George, 12; and Nathan, 9; and Ann M., 7. Everyone was born in Pennsylvania. The post office is Broad Mountain.
3. Military from 19 Jun 1863 to 1 Aug 1863 in Harrisburg, Dauphin, PA: Civil War: Private in Company A 27th Infantry. Organized at Harrisburg June 22, 1868, to protect Pennsylvania against Lee's Invasion. Dept. Of the Susquehanna. Duty at Columbia and Wrightsville. 19 20 21
4. He was discharged from the military on 31 Jul 1863 in Harrisburg, Dauphin, PA. A copy of William's discharge certificate from the U.S. Army is in possession of Bruce Beacher. This certificate reads:
5. Military from 13 Jul 1864 to 6 Nov 1864 in Baltimore, Baltimore, MD: Civil War: Private, Company C, 194th Infantry Regiment Pennsylvania (100 Days). Served at Baltimore, provost duty. 22
6. Newspaper: Weekly Miner's Journal: The 194th Regt., P. V., 13 Aug 1864, Pottsville, Schuylkill, PA. 23 This Regiment was mustered in for one Hundred Days' service. Teh Coloniel is Jas. Nagle. The Major, O. D. Jenkins. Both belong to Schuylkill County. The Regiment is now stationed near Baltimore.
7. He was discharged from the military on 6 Nov 1864 in Harrisburg, Dauphin, PA. A copy of William's discharge certificate from the U.S. Army in 1864 is in possession of Bruce Beacher. This certificate reads:
8. He appeared on the census in 1870 in New Castle Twp., Schuylkill, PA. 6 The 1870 census lists Jacob Beacher, the first census to spell his name this way. He is a laborer, age 57, living with wife, Angeline, 55; 3 sons who are all laborers: William, 31; George, 22; Nathan, 21; and daughter Mary, 18. Everyone was born in Pennsylvania. The post office is Broad Mountain.
9. He appeared on the census in 1870 in Shenandoah, Schuylkill, PA. 24 Angelina Becker [sic], 55, is listed as the head of the household. Living with her: William, 31; Heiram [sic], 28; Benjamin, 26; George, 24; Nathan, 20; and Mary, 18. The men are all employed as miners. Everyone was born in Pennsylvania. The post office is Shenandosh.
10. He appeared on the census in 1880 in Shenandoah, Schuylkill, PA. 13 The census listed Jacob Beacher (age 67), living with his wife, Angeline (65); sons William (41, occupation miner); and Nathan (28, occupation miner).
11. Book: History of Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania, 1881. 4
12. Book: History of Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania, 1881.
13. Pension on 3 Nov 1890 in , , PA. William made pension application 948025, certificate 825019 for an invalid pension.
14. Newspaper: The Evening Herald, 5 Mar 1892, Shenandoah, Schuylkill, PA. 25 William Beacher, a former townsman, living at Gilberton, was in town yesterday. He will soon return to Shenandoah and take up his residence here.
15. Newspaper: Evening Herald: "William Beacher of Brandonville, a driver at Ellengowan Colliery, was kicked in the side by a mule yesterday and it is thought he has internal injuries.", 20 Nov 1896, Shenandoah, Schuylkill, PA. 26
16. He appeared on the census in 1900 in Mahanoy Twp., Schuylkill, PA. 1 The 1900 census recorded renting a home: William Beecher, day laborer, 54, born Aug 1846, living with wife Priscilla, 47, Jan 1853; son Nathan, day laborer, 14, Jul 1885; son John, 12, Jul 1888; son Alfred, 8, Jan 1892; and daughter Laura, 6, Aug 1894. William and Priscilla were married for 17 years and she had birthed 10 children, 8 still alive in 1900 (some of these were by her first marriage.) The parents could read but not write. Everyone and their parents were born in Pennsylvania. Their census was recorded 8 Jun 1900.
17. Pension on 26 Oct 1900 in , , PA. Priscilla filed a widow pension application 728976 certificate 527997.
18. Pension: for the Civil War filed on 21 Oct 1901. 27 His wife Priscella filed. The service records indication on the form are A 27th Pa Inf and C 194th Pa Inf.
19. Pension Civil War Pension, William Beacher. Pvt. Co. C. 194Th Pa. Certificate 554899. $8 Month paid 26 Jan 1903 to 24 JUn 1903 to Joseph T Lyons guardian of minor Laura Beacher. She received $2/month 26 Jan 1903 to 22 Sep 1910. On 23 Jan 1903 in , , PA.
20. Pension on 26 Jan 1903 in , , PA. A minor pension for minor Joseph Derrick, widow Priscilla Beacher, was filed for William Beacher for his military service in Company A of the 27th Regiment and Company C of the 194th Pennsylvania Infantry.
21. Book: History of Schuylkill County, 1907. 21
22. Book: History of the Beacher Family, 1970. 28
William married Priscilla Brigitta Wary, daughter of Absalom Wary and Salome Brosius, in 1883.1 (Priscilla Brigitta Wary was born on 3 Mar 1853 in Barry Twp., Schuylkill, PA,29 30 died on 3 Jan 1903 in Shenandoah, Schuylkill, PA 31 32 and was buried in Shenandoah Heights: Odd Fellows Cemetery, Schuylkill, PA.)
1 1900 United States Census, Pennsylvania, Schuylkill County, Mahanoy Township, Series: T623 Roll: 1483 Page: 253. https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/M34Q-P7Q .
2 Genealogy Research conducted by Bruce Franklin Beacher Ph.D. (1919-2004).
3 Zitkus, Mae Beacher (15 May 1978 Letter to Bruce Beacher).
4 W. W. Munsell, History of Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania (New York: W. W. Munsell & Co., 36 Vesey Street, 1881), Page 380.
Rice, Phillip A, Odd Fellows (I.O.O.F.) Cemetery, Shenandoah Heights, West Mahanoy Township, Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania (Apollo, PA : Closson Press, c1993.
135 p. : map ; 28 cm. Includes index.).
6 1870 United States Census, Pennsylvania, Schuylkill County, New Castle Township, Series: M593 Roll: 1450 Page: 627.
7 Ancestry.com, Cuyahoga County, Ohio, Marriage Records and Indexes, 1810-1973 (Cuyahoga County, Ohio, Marriage Records, 1810–1973. Microfilm publication, 137 rolls. Reels 1-110. Cuyahoga, Ohio.), Vol 110-111; Page: 448; Marriage of John H. Hayden and Laura Beacher.
8 FamilySearch.org, Pennsylvania, County Marriages, 1885 - 1950, https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KMCB-N7S Priscilla Derrick in entry for Alfred Beacher and Emma Beecroft, 1916.
9 Billion Graves (http://www.BillionGraves.com), http://billiongraves.com/pages/record/JohnJacobBeacher/2802040.
10 Ancestry.com, Pennsylvania, Death Certificates, 1906-1966 (Original data: Pennsylvania (State). Death certificates, 1906–1966. Series 11.90 (1,905 cartons). Records of the Pennsylvania Department of Health, Record Group 11. Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.), Certificate 39281. John Beacher. Father Wm Beacher. Mother Priscilla Derrick.
11 FamilySearch.org, Ohio, County Marriages, 1789-2013, https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XDGD-RVW John H. Hayden and Laura Beacher, 27 Mar 1919; citing Cuyahoga, Ohio, United States, reference 274-448; county courthouses, Ohio; FHL microfilm 1,888,832.
12 Ancestry.com, U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007 (Original data: Social Security Applications and Claims, 1936-2007.), Nathan Wallace Beacher, SSN 196241548.
13 1880 United States Census, FHL Film 1255192; National Archives Film T9-1192; Page 22D.
14 1850 United States Census, Pennsylvania, Schuylkill County, Pottsville South Ward, Series: M432 Roll: 827 Page: 388.
15 Find A Grave, http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=43020696.
16 Pennsylvania Church and Town Records, 1708-1985 (http://www.Ancestry.com. Original from Historical Society of Pennsylvania, Historic Pennsylvania Church and Town Records.), Image 36.
17 Billion Graves (http://www.BillionGraves.com), http://billiongraves.com/pages/record/WilliamBeacher/2650987.
18 1860 United States Census, Pennsylvania, Schuylkill County, New Castle Township, Series: M653 Roll: 1178 Page: 349.
19 http://www.ancestry.com, Civil War Research Database (Copyright 1997, 1998, 1999 - Historical Data Systems Inc. P.O. Box 196 Kingston, MA 02364).
20 Samuel P. Bates, History of Pennsylvania Volunteers (Pennsylvania. Legislature. Harrisburg: State Printer, 1870.), Vol. 5, Page 394 & Page 1236.
21 W. W. Munsell, History of Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania (New York: W. W. Munsell & Co., 36 Vesey Street, 1881), Page 151.
22 National Park Service Soldier's Sailors Database, William Beacher, Co. C., 194th Regiment, Pennsylvania Infantry.
23 Weekly Miner's Journal (Pottsville, PA), 13 Aug 1864, page 1. The 194th Regt., P. V.
24 1870 United States Census, Pennsylvania, Schuylkill County, Shenandoah, Series M593, Roll 1450, Page 597.
25 Library of Congress - Chronicling America Historic Newspapers (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov), http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn87078000/1892-03-05/ed-1/seq-1/;words=Beacher.
26 Shenandoah Evening Herald (Shenandoah, Schuylkill, Pennsylvania.), 20 Nov 1896. Republished 20 Nov 1971 in "75 Years Ago - 1896" column.
27 National Archives and Records Administration, Civil War Pension Index ([database online] Provo, UT: Ancestry.com, 2000. Data indexed and imaged from National Archives and Records Administration. General Index to Pension Files, 1861-1934. T288, 544 rolls. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration.).
28 Miller, Hazel Horrox and Horn, Ruth Beacher, History of the Beacher Family (1970, typewritten pages, self published.).
29 1900 United States Census, Pennsylvania, Schuylkill County, Mahanoy Township, Series: T623 Roll: 1483 Page: 253.
30 1860 United States Census, Year: 1860; Census Place: Barry, Schuylkill, Pennsylvania; Roll: M653_1180; Page: 109; Image: 114; Family History Library Film: 805180.
31 Beacher, Bruce Franklin, Beau-Chere, The Beacher Family Newsletter, Issue 1 Jun 1978.
32 Ancestry.com, Pennsylvania, Wills and Probate Records, 1683-1993, PA > Schuylkill County. Will Book 12, Page 580. Online image 326. Priscilla Beacher.