|Violet Pearl Bury
Her father is listed on her marriage license to William Christman as Hubert Bury.
Noted events in her life were:
1. She traveled to America from Antwerp on the ship The Belgenland (built 1878) on 2 Aug 1893 in New York: Ellis Island, New York, NY. 14 On the ship's passenger list:
2. She resided at Allentown City Directory: Bury Frank H, cashboy, h 1222 Gordon; Bury Hubert, watchmaker, res 1222 Gordon. Martha A.; Violet P., Martin in 1903 in Allentown, Lehigh, PA. 15
3. She resided at 1222 Gordon St., Allentown, PA on 24 Jul 1904 in Allentown, Lehigh, PA. 9
4. She appeared on the census in 1910 in Allentown, Lehigh, PA. 16 Following the death of Martha Bury in 1904, we find her children living in 1910 with their older sister's husband. Horace N. Benfield, age 27, occupation house painter, is listed living at 229 West Street in Allentown in the 1910 Census in enumeration district 0160 as visit 0151. Living with him is his wife, Helen (nee Bury), age 24, whose birthplace is listed as Germany and 1885 as the year she immigrated, which is her year of birth. She was married to Horace for 4 years at in 1910 had no children born. Her marital status is listed as M2, to indicate this was her second marriage -- Horace is listed as M1. Also in the household is brother-in-law Frank H. Bury, age 23, single, bookkeeper in a cement mill; sister-in-law Violet P. Bury, age 17, single, stichery in a shoe factory; and brother-in-law Martin H. Bury, age 11, single. Horace and his parents were born in Pennsylvania. Frank, Violet, and Martin were born in Pennsylvania with both parents born in Germany.
5. Occupation: stichery in a shoe mill in 1910. 17
6. Newspaper: Allentown Democrat: Party for Miss Bury., 17 Jun 1915, Allentown, Lehigh, PA. 18 In honor of her twenty-third birthday anniversary the friends of Miss Violet Bury, 229 North West St., Tuesday gave her a delightful surprise party. Games, music and refreshments constituted the evening's pleasure. In the party were:
7. Occupation: shoe operator on 3 Jul 1915 in Allentown, Lehigh, PA. 3
9. Newspaper: Allentown Leader: Marriage Licenses: William Christman of Macungie and Violet P. Bury, daughter of Mr. And Mrs. Hubert Bury of 229 North West Street., 6 Jul 1915, Allentown, Lehigh, PA. 19
10. Newspaper: Allentown Leader: A Night in Fairyland, 25 Nov 1916, Allentown, Lehigh, PA. 20 The second annual children's "fairyland" concert will be given in St. Andrew's Reformed Church auditorium on Thanksgiving evening and Friday evening, November 30 and December 1, under the direction of F. Willard Wolfe.
11. She appeared on the census in 1900 in Salisbury Twp., Lehigh, PA. 21 The 1900 Census for Salisbury Township in Lehigh County lists Hubert Bury, age 43, born Apr 1857 in Germany, parents born in Germany, occupation jeweler, renting his home. He was married for 16 years to Martha A., wife, born Oct 1867 in Germany, parents born in Germany. In 1900 she had born seven children, four of whom were still living.
12. She appeared on the census in 1920 in Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA. 22 The 1920 census recorded at 2014 19th Street: Violet Christman, divorced, clarical in wholesale drugs, 27, living as a lodger in the home of Alice Lazarus, widowed, 48. Violet and her parents were born in Pennsylvania.
13. She appeared on the census in 1940 in Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA. 23 Violet Christman, 47, divorced, was living alone and renting a room at 1423 16th Street. She was self-employed as a musician.
14. She had a residence on 17 Jun 1959 in Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA. 24
15. Newspaper: Lock Haven Express: Fire Destroys Barrigan Home, 2 May 1963, Lock Haven, Clinton, PA. 25 Fire Destroys Barrigan Home near Haneyville
16. Newspaper: Evening Herald: Photo of Winslow Barrigan and Violet Barrigan musicians at reunion of 1930 Class of Ashland High School, 8 Jul 1975, Shenandoah, Schuylkill, PA. 26
17. She resided at 6926 Germantown Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19119 in Aug 1986 in Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA. 27
18. She resided at 6950 Germantown Avenue, Philadelphia, PA on 4 Apr 1989 in Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA. 7
19. Obituary: Allentown Morning Call: obituary of Violet Barrigan on 5 Apr 1989 in Allentown, Lehigh, PA. 13 VIOLET BARRIGAN, 96, EX-MUSICAL DIRECTOR:
20. Obituary: Hazleton Standard-Speaker: obituary of Violet Barrigan on 5 Apr 1989 in Hazleton, Luzerne, PA. 7 Violet Barrigan, directed Mellowtones
21. Letter: Letter about Violet from her daughter, Helen Hale Barnes., 2005. 6 From a letter written by Helen Hale Barnes, Violet's daughter:
Violet married Fred Hale about 1913. (Fred Hale was born in , , NJ.)
Violet next married William Christman, son of Benjamin Franklin Christman and Catherine Neumoyer, on 3 Jul 1915 in Allentown, Lehigh, PA.1 2 3 The marriage ended in divorce before 1920. (William Christman was born on 6 Sep 1881 in Macungie Twp., Lehigh, PA 3 28 29 and died on 24 Aug 1953 in Annville, Lebanon, PA.)
Violet next married Winslow E. Barrigan, son of William H. Barrigan and Lina Marie Altvater, in 1941 in Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA.4 (Winslow E. Barrigan was born on 27 Nov 1899 in , , PA 10 and died on 1 Oct 1992 in Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA 10.)
1 Marriage License.
2 The Allentown Leader (Allentown, Lehigh, Pennsylvania), 1915 Jul 6, page 2. Marriage Licenses. William Christman and Violet P. Bury.
3 FamilySearch.org, Pennsylvania, County Marriages, 1885 - 1950, https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/VF4K-NKL William Christman and Violet P. Bury, 03 Jul 1915; citing Marriage, Pennsylvania, county courthouses, Pennsylvania; FHL microfilm 2,080,232.
4 Ancestry.com, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Marriage Index, 1885-1951, Marriage License 734253. Violet P. Christman and Winslow E. Barrigan.
5 1910 United States Census.
6 Barnes, Helen Hale, daughter of Violet Pearl Bury (Letters from Helen Hale Barnes. 2005-6.).
7 Hazleton Standard-Speaker, Hazleton, PA (Hazleton, Luzerne County, Pennsylvania), 5 Apr 1898, page 2. Obituary of Violet Barrigan.
8 FamilySearch.org, Pennsylvania, County Marriages, 1885 - 1950, https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/VFWQ-MFT Harold S. Barnes and Helen B. Hale, 1943.
9 Morning Call (Allentown, PA), 25 Jul 1904, page 1. Obituary of Mrs. Herbert Bury.
10 U.S. Social Security Death Index.
11 Find A Grave, http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=17218265&.
12 U.S. Social Security Death Index, https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/JPZR-2P8 SSN 159-09-8673 Violet P. Barrigan.
13 Morning Call (Allentown, PA), Apr 5, 1989. pg. B.14.
14 Ellis Island Passenger Lists (Ellis Island Foundation, Inc. http://www.ellisislandrecords.org).
15 Ancestry.com, U.S. City Directories, 1822-1995, 1903 Allentown Directory, printed page 86, online image 45.
16 1910 United States Census, Pennsylvania, Lehigh County, Allentown Ward 11, Roll 1364 Book 1, Page 230.
17 The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, "FamilySearch," database, FamilySearch (http://new.familysearch.org : accessed 17 Apr 2013), entry for Violet Pearl Bury, person ID KZKG-DH3.
18 Allentown Democrat (Allentown, Lehigh, Pennsylvania), 17 Jun 1915, page 7. Party for Miss Bury.
19 The Allentown Leader (Allentown, Lehigh, Pennsylvania), 6 Jul 1915, page 2.
20 The Allentown Leader (Allentown, Lehigh, Pennsylvania), 25 Nov 1916, page 6.
21 1900 United States Census, Pennsylvania, Lehigh County, Salisbury Township, Series: T623 Roll: 1429 Page: 300.
22 1920 United States Census, Year: 1920; Census Place: Philadelphia Ward 32, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; Roll: T625_1633; Page: 4A; Enumeration District: 1069; Image: 1108.
23 1940 United States Census, (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KQJJ-NX9 Violet Christman, Ward 47, Philadelphia, Philadelphia City, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States; citing enumeration district (ED) 51-2027, sheet 2A, family 43.
24 Morning Call (Allentown, PA), 18 Jun 1959, page 55. Obituary of Frank H. Bury.
25 The Express (Lock Haven, Pennsylvania) (Lock Haven, Clinton, Pennsylvania.), 2 May 1963, page 1.
26 Shenandoah Evening Herald (Shenandoah, Schuylkill, Pennsylvania.), 8 Jul 1975, page 3.
27 FamilySearch.org, United States Public Records Index, https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KRK5-QQH Winslow E Barrigan.
29 Brĝderbund Software, Inc. (Release date: August 23, 1996), Tree #0678.