|Benjamin Donald Beacher
Another name for Benjamin was B. Donald Beacher.1
Noted events in his life were:
1. Alt. Name: In all records including his marriage license and social security he listed his name as B. Donald Beacher.,,.
2. Occupation: electrical engineering consultant. 1
3. He appeared on the census in 1930 in Allentown, Lehigh, PA. 13 14 The 1930 Census in Allentown recorded owning a $15,000 home at 224 South 16th St.: Benjamin F. Beacher, mechanical engineer, 53, living with his wife, Bertha P., 45; daughter Ruth E., 24, occupation piano teacher; and sons B. Donald, 16; John H., 13; Bruce F., 10;, and Robert L., 5. Their home had a radio. Everyone and their parents were born in Pennsylvania.
4. He was a witness to the newspaper of John Henry Beacher 21 Feb 1931 Allentown, Lehigh, PA: Allentown Morning Call: Scout Program Broadcast by Troop 10. 15 15 Radio listeners who tuned Into Station WCBA Thursday night heard an interesting Boy Scout program presented by the members of Troop 10, which meets regularly at the Asbury M. E. church. The program opened with the assembly bugle call by Troop Bugler John Beacher, after which Donald Beacher, senior patrol leader, led In the pledge of allegiance. Frederick Everett and John Beacher then recited the Scout laws and William Ruch favored with a violin solo. A quartet composed of Committeemen John Eddy, Lester Bally, Claude Horlacher and Edgar, then sang several numbers and they were accompanied at the piano by Ralph Ruch. Donald Beacher then offered a trombone solo and Robert Keck played a piano solo. A talk entitled, "Taking the Boys Measure In a Popular Way," was then given by Edgar Weaver, a member of the troop commute. In his address Mr. Weaver explained the work being done for the youth of Allentown by the Boy Scout organization. The sounding of taps by Bugler Beacher brought the program to a close. The scoutmaster of Troop 10 Is Fred Erwin. Assistant scoutmasters of the troop are Adraln Hoffman, Wilbur Hemstreet and George Hemstreet.
5. Newspaper: Allentown Morning Call: Annual Recital Tonight - At Grace E. C. Church, on 26 May 1931, in Allentown, Lehigh, PA. 16 16 The Woman's Faithful Bible class of Grace E. C. church will present the expression pupils of Mrs. Miriam Heimbach Kehler in their fifth annual recital tonight at 8 o'clock. The program, an Interesting and varied one, will be given in the social rooms of the church at Fifteenth and Turner streets. Assisting artists will be Dorothy Bastian, violinist, a junior at Cedar Crest College; J. Marcus Keenly, tenor soloist of Salem Reformed chancel choir; Donald and John Beacher, of Grace E. C. church, trumpeters. The program includes the following numbers: Violin solo. Miss Bastian; "The Raggedy Man," James Whitcomb Reily, Lucille Buck; "Teaching Them How to Drive," Dorothy Hollenbach; "A Song of Thanksgiving," A. Allister, Mr. Keenly; "A Man at the Baseball Game," Walter Ben Hare, Betty Levenson. Three poems of Edgar Guest, "Dr. Johnson's Picture Cow," "When Father Played Baseball" and "Mrs. Malone and the Censor," Barbara Ellen Bastian; trumpet duet, Beacher brothers; "Helping Father in a Business Deal," Betty Snyder; "The Human Tonic," Walter Ben Hare, Mildred Deibert, Jean Stephens will give four numbers, "Circumstances Alter Cases," D. L. Dunbar; "De' Weddin' Breakfast," Marian Johnson; "Da Leetla Boy," T. A. Daly, and "The Americans Come," Fay Foster; violin solo, Miss Bastian; "The Story of Patsy," Mildred Deibert; "The Hills of Home," Fox, Mr. Keenly. "Buddy Speaks a Piece," Walter Ben Hare, Betty Levenson; trumpet duet, Beacher brothers; one act play interpreted Dr. Jean Stephens and Betty Snyder. The society invites everyone to enjoy the program with them. A silver offering will be taken.
6. He was educated at Electrical Engineering, Lehigh University in 1935 in Bethlehem, Lehigh, PA. 17 From the 1935 Lehigh University Epitome Yearbook:
7. Newspaper: Allentown Morning Call: Beacher Family Entertains, on 30 Jan 1932, in Allentown, Lehigh, PA. 18 18 The Men's Bible class of Grace E. C. church, Fifteenth and Turner streets. Rev. H. E. M. Snyder, pastor, sponsored an unusual supper party and program in the social rooms of the church last evening. It was called a "Family Night" and was attended by almost 100 persons, members of the class with their wives. So successful was the affair that it will be a regular event at intervals throughout the year. John I. Baker, president of the class, was a capable toastmaster during the dinner program, which featured two addresses by William Thomas and Rev. D. G. Reinhold. Mrs. H. C. Pottelger entertained with vocal solos. Following the dinner, there was an entertainment program staged by the Beacher family, which includes: Mr. and Mrs. B. Beacher, Mrs. Ruth Beacher Horn and Donald, John, Bruce and Bobby Beacher. The group formed an orchestra and offered instrumental numbers; there were also a number of songs, piano duets and solos, etc. The program concluded with a demonstration of various types of Indian war dances, performed by the Beacher boys in costume.
8. Newspaper: Morning Call: photo of B. Donald Beacher. Will Receive Lehigh University Degrees Today.. B. Donal Beacher, Degree of B. S. In Electrical Engineering, 11 Jun 1935, Allentown, Lehigh, PA. 19
9. Occupation: student engineer on 11 Sep 1935 in Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA. 2
10. Newspaper: Allentown Morning Call: Beacher-Horn Wedding Of Sept 17 Announced, 26 May 1936, Allentown, Lehigh, PA. 3 The wedding last September 17 of Margaret Horn, daughter of Mrs. Carrie Young, of Drums, and B. Donald Beacher, of Philadelphia, son of Mr. and Mrs. B. F. Beacher, 224 South Sixteenth street, has been announced by the bride's mother, a former Allentown resident. The wedding was held in the Methodist Episcopal church at Drums, with Rev. G. Metzgar officiating. Attendants at the wedding were Mildred Conrad, of Philadelphia, and Charles A. Heiberger, of this city, while Ruth Beacher . Horn, organist of Grace E. C. church, this city, and a sister of the bridegroom, played the nuptial music. The newlyweds are residing at 417 West Olney avenue, Philadelphia. The bride was graduated from Allentown High school In '31 and has resided in Philadelphia for the past four years. Mr. Beacher also was graduated from the local High school in '31 and from Lehigh university last year. He is a member of the Eta Kappa Nu, honorary electrical fraternity, and was active in Boy Scout work in this city, assisting at Camp Trexler for several seasons. He is employed in the engineering department of the Crew-Levick company, Philadelphia.
11. Residence: 1511 West Erie Street, Philadelphia on 11 Sep 1935 in Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA. 2
12. Residence: 417 West Olney Avenue, Philadelphia, PA on 26 May 1936 in Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA. 3
13. He appeared on the census in 1940 in Salladasburg, Lycoming, PA. 20 The 1940 census recorded renting a home: Donald Beecher, salesman electrical supplies, 28, living with wife Margaret, 25; and daughter Beverly, 3. In 1935, Donald and Margaret were living in Philadelphia. Everyone was born in Pennsylvania. Donald's annual salary in 1939 was $1200. He was paying $10 a month rent for his home. Donald and Margaret were college graduates.
14. Occupation: Westinghouse Electric Supply Co., 1101 Race, Philadelphia, PA on 16 Oct 1940 in Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA. 10
15. He was described as 5' 8" 165 lbs., brown hair, brown eyes, dark complexion on 16 Oct 1940 in Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA. 10
16. Residence: on 16 Oct 1940 in Salladasburg, Lycoming, PA. 10
17. Newspaper: Gazette And Bulletin, 27 May 1944, Williamsport, Lycoming, PA. 21 Salladasburg Scouts Meet to Re-organize
18. Newspaper: Gazette And Bulletin, 8 Mar 1945, Williamsport, Lycoming, PA. 22 April 9-15 Designed as Sports Week at Y
19. Newspaper: Morning Call: B. D. Beacher Named Jersey Shore District Scout Council Head, 11 Apr 1946, Allentown, Lehigh, PA. 23 B. Donald Beacher of Salladasburg, Lycoming county, son of Mr. and Mrs. B. F. Beacher, 224 S. 16th St., Allentown, has been elected chairman oi the Jersey Shore District Boy Scout council. He will be assisted by five committeemen. Formerly active in Boy Scout activities in Allentown, Beacher attained Eagle Scout rank as a member of Troop 10 of Asbury Methodist church. He was one of the first counselors at Camp Trexler. He is now superintendent of the Methodist church Sunday school at Salladasburg and has been active in Christian vouth work in that vicinity. Mr. Beacher is married to the former Margaret Horn of Allentown and they have three children. He is an electrical engineer for Westinghouse Electric in the Williamsport area.
20. He was elected as School Director on 15 Sep 1949 in Salladasburg, Lycoming, PA. 24 An article in the Williamsport Gazette And Bulletin newspaper:
21. was a witness to the newspaper of Bertha Priscilla Snyder 16 Jun 1950 Allentown, Lehigh, PA: Morning Call: At Birthday Party. 25 25 Mrs. Ruth Beacher Horn entertained at a turkey dinner Saturday night at her home, 1024 Chew St., in honor of her mother, Mrs. Bertha P. Beacher, 1935 Greenleaf St., and her uncle, W. H. Snyder, 1233 Walnut St., who observed their 65th birthday anniversaries last Sunday. They are the twin children of the late Mr. and Mrs. Henry C. Snyder of Frackville.
22. Residence: 856 West Ave., Springfield, Pa. Was the address Donald listed as the informant on his mother Bertha's death certificate. On 5 Jan 1959 in Springfield, Delaware, PA. 26
23. Residence: 856 West Ave., Springfield, PA on 12 Sep 1958 in Springfield, Delaware, PA. 27
24. Residence: 856 West Ave., Springfield, PA on 21 Mar 1972 in Springfield, Delaware, PA. 7
25. Residence: 856 W Avenue in 1977 in Springfield, Delaware, PA. 28
26. Residence: 223 Ivy Rock Lane on 1 Dec 1977 in Havertown, Delaware, PA. 1
27. He was cremated in 1999 in Allentown, Lehigh, PA. 1
Benjamin married Margaret Elizabeth Horan, daughter of John A. Horan and Carrie Mae Reisenweaver, on 17 Sep 1935 in Drums, Luzerne County, PA.1 2 3 (Margaret Elizabeth Horan was born on 24 Jan 1915 in Drums, Luzerne County, PA 2 4, christened on 30 Apr 1915 in Drums, Luzerne County, PA and died on 19 Aug 2002 in West Chester, Chester, PA 4.)
1 Genealogy Research conducted by Bruce Franklin Beacher Ph.D. (1919-2004).
2 FamilySearch.org, Pennsylvania, County Marriages, 1885 - 1950, https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KHF3-LN4 B Donald Beacher and Margaret Elizabeth Horn, 1935.
3 Morning Call (Allentown, PA), 26 May 1936, page 20. Wedding of Donald Beacher and Margaret Horn.
4 U.S. Social Security Death Index.
5 Lehigh University Epitome Yearbook (Lehigh University, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. Also online in U.S. School Yearbooks at Ancestry.com.), 1934 Epitome Yearbook, page 130, entry for Benjamin Donald Beacher.
6 Delaware County Daily Times (Chester, Pa.), 17 Mar 1971, page 10. Wedding of Duane B. Beacher and Shirley Elaine Steward.
7 Hazleton Standard-Speaker, Hazleton, PA (Hazleton, Luzerne County, Pennsylvania), 22 Mar 1972, page 40. Obituary of Mrs. Carrie M. Young.
8 Ancestry.com, U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007 (Original data: Social Security Applications and Claims, 1936-2007.), Beverly Ann Beacher, SSN 172303679.
9 Ancestry.com, U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007 (Original data: Social Security Applications and Claims, 1936-2007.), SSN 159035227 B. Donald Beacher, father Benjamin F. Beacher, mother Bertha P. Snyder.
10 Ancestry.com, U.S., World War II Draft Registration Cards, 1942 (National Archives and Records Administration (NARA); Washington, D.C.), B. Donald Beacher, b 9 Dec 1913.
11 Morning Call (Allentown, PA), 28 Sep 1941, page 21. Marriage Bruce Franklin Beecher and Betty Strayer.
12 Philadelphia Inquirer (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.), 21 Aug 2002, page B-8. Death of Margaret E. Beacher.
13 1930 United States Census, Enumeration District 37-38 Visit 430 Sheet 17A.
14 Zitkus, Mae Beacher (15 May 1978 Letter to Bruce Beacher).
15 Morning Call (Allentown, PA), 21 Feb 1931, page 2.
16 Morning Call (Allentown, PA), 26 May 1931, page 5.
17 Lehigh University Epitome Yearbook (Lehigh University, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. Also online in U.S. School Yearbooks at Ancestry.com.), 1935 Epitome Yearbook, page 76, entry for B. Donald Beacher.
18 Morning Call (Allentown, PA), 30 Jan 1932, page 7.
19 Morning Call (Allentown, PA), 11 Jun 1935, page 13.
20 1940 United States Census, https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KQNM-K4D Donald Beecher, Salladasburg Borough, Lycoming, Pennsylvania, United States; citing enumeration district (ED) 41-54, sheet 3A, family 53, NARA digital publication of T627, roll 3566.
21 Gazette And Bulletin, Williamsport, Lycoming County, Pennsylvania, 27 May 1944 edition, page 7.
22 Gazette And Bulletin, Williamsport, Lycoming County, Pennsylvania, 08 Mar 1945 edition, page 8.
23 Morning Call (Allentown, PA), 11 Apr 1946, page 3.
24 Gazette And Bulletin, Williamsport, Lycoming County, Pennsylvania, 15 Sep 1949 Edition, page 24.
25 Morning Call (Allentown, PA), 16 Jun 1950, page 28.
26 Ancestry.com, Pennsylvania, Death Certificates, 1906-1963 (Original data: Pennsylvania (State). Death certificates, 1906–1963. Series 11.90 (1,905 cartons). Records of the Pennsylvania Department of Health, Record Group 11. Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.), Death Certificate 3905. Bertha P. Beacher. Father Henry C. Snyder. Mother Lizza A. ?. Spouse Benjamin F. Beacher. Informant B. D. Beacher.
27 Delaware County Daily Times (Chester, Pa.), 12 Sep 1958, page 34. Wedding of Beverly Beacher - Robert Trowbridge.
28 Beacher, Bruce Franklin, Beau-Chere, The Beacher Family Newsletter, Issue 1 Dec 1977.