|William Jacob Beecher Sr.
Another name for William was William J. Beacher.15
Noted events in his life were:
1. He appeared on the census in 1880 in Shenandoah, Schuylkill, PA. 16 Hiram Becher, coal miner, 38, was married to wife Henrietta, 31. Living with them: Lilly May, 12; Sarah Jane, 10; Edith, 7; and Willie, 5. Everyone and their parents were born in Pennsylvania.
2. He appeared on The 1890 census was destroyed in a fire, but a directory compiled from it before it was lost shows the following: Beacher, Etta. Brandonville. Edith, William J., 16. Census in 1890 in Brandonville, Schuylkill, PA. 17
3. He appeared on the census in 1900 in Mount Carmel Twp., Northumberland, PA. 5 Hiram Beecher (age 57, born Jul 1843) is listed in the 1900 Census as a household head living on the west side of Oak Street in Mount Carmel Township, Northumberland County, Pennsylvania. His wife is listed as Etta (51, born Sep 1848). Living with them is son Wilhelm J. (24, born May, 1876). Both father and son are employed as coal miners. Henrietta is listed as having given birth to 4 children, all of whom were living in 1900. Living in the same building as a boarder is Sadie Beecher, his daughter, born Feb 1874 and single, occupation servant, in the housholed of Lewis Hilbert and his wife, Edith (Hiram's daughter.)
4. Newspaper: Mount Carmel Item: "K.G.E. Officers. The following officers of the Mt. Carmel Council No. 324 Knights of the Golden Eagle were installed: Past Chief, Thomas Morris. Noble Chief, Edward Perry; Vice Chief, W. J. Beacher", 22 Jan 1902, Mount Carmel, Northumberland, PA. 18
5. Newspaper: Mount Carmel Daily News: Wm. J. Beecher Was Injured this A. M., 24 Feb 1903, Mount Carmel, Northumberland, PA. 19 Wm. J. Beecher was injured at the Reliance colliery at about 9:30 this morning by a premature blast. Mr. Beecher had prepared a shot but upon its failing to go off after a certain length of time he returned and was about to place in a squib when the explosion occurred. He received the full force of the blast in face and neck. Several small cuts are scattered around over his face and one very severe one on the forehead above the left eye in which Dr. Harple, the attending physician, placed seven stitches. His body is also slightly bruised.
6. Newspaper: Mount Carmel Item: Ad: "Lost. A watch charm, with K. Of P. Badge on one side and K. Of G. E. Badge on the other. Reward for return to W. J. Beecher, 50 So. Market st.", 20 May 1904, Mount Carmel, Northumberland, PA. 20
7. Newspaper: Mount Carmel Item: William Beecher helps firefighters, 29 Jan 1910, Mount Carmel Twp., Northumberland, PA. "To bring a sad accident to lifht again we are compelled to state that the body of the late Mrs. Joseph Hinkel was discovered by George B. Morris, of the Antracity Fire Company, and by the assistance of William Beecher and Chief of Police Morgan was carried into a neighbors house. Some persons will persist in distoring the facts in all cases, and this explanation is made to rectify the impression that has been created in the minds of many, that the fireman did not do their duty."
8. Newspaper: Mount Carmel Item: "A party of twelve consisting of Harry Blue, William Beecher, wife and family and H. Beecher left this morning on the Reading for Tulare, Cal. The party will go into the homestead territory and stake up a tract of land they will farm.", 14 Apr 1910, Mount Carmel Twp., Northumberland, PA. 21
9. He appeared on the census on 4 May 1910 in Tulare, Tulare, CA. 12 Renting at 373 King St: William J. Beecher, 33, was married for 9 years to wife Emma, 26. She had given birth to 7 children, 6 alive in 1910. Living with them: Edith, 8; Anne, 7; Willie, 6; Arthur, 5; May, 3; John, 2; and William's father, Hiram, 68, widowed. Everyone and their parents were born in Pennsylvania. No one had an occupation.
10. He appeared on the census in 1920 in Castroville, Monterey, CA. 22 William J. Beecher, laborer in salt works, 43, was living with wife Emma, 36; William J., 16; Arthur, 14; May, 13; John L., 11; and Benjamin Franklin, 10. Everyone and their parents were born in Pennsylvania. William was renting his home, and had served in World War I.
11. He appeared on the census in 1930 in Monterey, Monterey, CA. 23 The 1930 census recorded owning a $2500 home at 561 Broadway: William Bucher [indexed wrong, handwriting is Beecher], laborer in fish cannery, 53, living with wife Emma, 47; son William Jr., machinist in fish cannery, 25; daughter-in-law Mary, 23; and grandson William 3rd, 4. The child and his mother were born in California, the others and their parents in Pennsylvania. Mary's father was born in Nevada and mother in Texas.
12. He appeared on the census in 1940 in Monterey, Monterey, CA. 24 In the 1940 Census William J. Beecher, 64, was living with wife Emma, 57. Both were born in Pennsylvania.
13. Residence: on 11 Aug 1942 in Monterey, Monterey, CA. 6 In 1942 on his application for a delayed birth certificate William listed his address: Route 1 Box 215A, Monterey, California.
14. Newspaper: The Wm. Beechers are 50 Years Wed, 15 Dec 1950, Seaside, Monterey, CA. [Newspaper name unknown, not on article clipped]
15. Letter: Stanley James Beecher Sr. To Dianne Beecher, 23 Jun 2008. "He took his wife Emma Beecher and 6 kids by train to California, in the 1900's. The family came to Cal. because of an ad in the paper for a explosive expert to do work in Calif. He got the job and helped level land at Fort Ord and the Presidio of Monterey."
William married Emma Youst, daughter of Henry N. Youst and Johanna Derr, on 15 Dec 1900 in Mount Carmel, Northumberland, PA.1 2 3 (Emma Youst was born on 1 May 1883 in Mount Carmel, Northumberland, PA,12 25 26 died on 17 Jul 1952 in Monterey, Monterey, CA 25 26 and was buried in Pacific Grove: El Carmelo Cemetery, Monterey, CA 1 26.)
They were married by Rev. F. Weiss according to the marriage certificate. 14
1 Beecher, Dianne, Interview with Dianne Beecher, wife of William E. Beecher, son of Arthur L. Beecher. (June 11, 2008).
2 Northumberland County Courthouse, Northumberland County, PA, Marriage certificate of William J. Beecher and Emma Youst.
3 FamilySearch.org, Pennsylvania, County Marriages, 1885 - 1950, https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/VF9P-QGS William J. Beacher and Emma Youst, 15 Dec 1900; citing , Northumberland, Pennsylvania, United States; FHL microfilm 961098.
4 Beacher, Bruce Franklin, Beau-Chere, The Beacher Family Newsletter, 1 Mar 1979.
5 1900 United States Census, Pennsylvania, Schuylkill County, Mount Carmel Boro, Series: T623 Roll: 1449 Page: 43.
Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Dept. of Health, Pennsylvania Birth Certificate (http://www.dsf.health.state.pa.us/health/cwp/view.asp?a=168&Q=229939
Pennsylvania Division of Vital Records
101 South Mercer Street
PO Box 1528
New Castle, PA 16101
(724) 656-3100), Delayed birth certificate of William Jacob Beecher Sr. (1876-1951) applied for on 17 Aug 1942.
7 Find A Grave, http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=39415179.
8 FamilySearch.org, California, County Marriages, 1850-1952, https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/K82R-D91 William Jacob Beecher and Mary Ella Huckaby, 10 Dec 1923; citing p. 254, San Joaquin, California, United States; FHL microfilm 1841869.
9 Mount Carmel Item (Mount Carmel, Northumberland, Pennsylvania.), 15 Jan 1942, page 6. Obituary of Henry N. Youst.
10 Ancestry.com, U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007 (Original data: Social Security Applications and Claims, 1936-2007.), William Jacob Beecher, SSN 572141133.
11 1900 United States Census, Pennsylvania, Northumberland County, Roll 1449 Book 2, Page 98.
12 1910 United States Census, California, Tulare County, Tulare Ward 2, Series: T624 Roll: 111 Page: 92.
13 California Vital Records.
14 Northumberland County Courthouse, Northumberland County, PA, Marriage license of William Beecher and Emma Youst.
15 Northumberland County Courthouse, Northumberland County, PA, Marriage license of William Beacher and Emma Youst. (His named is spelled Beacher, not Beecher.).
16 1880 United States Census, FHL Film 1255192; National Archives Film T9-1192; Page 501A.
17 Ancestry.com, A Directory of the eleventh census of the population of Schuylkill County : giving the names and ages of males and females (Lebanon, Pa.: E.E. Schartel, 1891, c1889.).
18 Mount Carmel Item (Mount Carmel, Northumberland, Pennsylvania.), 22 Jan 1902, page 1.
19 Mount Carmel Daily News (Mount Carmel, Northumberland, Pennsylvania), 24 Feb 1903, page 1.
20 Mount Carmel Item (Mount Carmel, Northumberland, Pennsylvania.), 20 May 1904, page 1.
21 Mount Carmel Item (Mount Carmel, Northumberland, Pennsylvania.), 14 Apr 1910, page 1. To California.
22 1920 United States Census, California, Monterey, Castroville, Series: T625 Roll: 122 Page: 85.
23 1930 United States Census, Year: 1930; Census Place: Monterey, Monterey, California; Roll: 179; Page: 23B; Enumeration District: 0028; Image: 860.0; FHL microfilm: 2339914.
24 1940 United States Census, https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/K94Q-MNB William J Beecher, Monterey Judicial Township, Monterey, California, United States; citing enumeration district (ED) 27-34, sheet 28B, family 734.
25 California Vital Records, Death Certificate of Emma Beecher born 05/01/1883.
26 Find A Grave, http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=39415158.