Sponsors: Paul Bertsch, Catharine
Noted events in his life were:
1. He appeared on the census in 1840 in Lowhill Twp., Lehigh, PA. 14
2. He appeared on the census in 1850 in Lowhill Twp., Lehigh, PA. 15 The 1850 census recorded Jonas Knorr, shoemaker, 36, living with wife Susannah, 31; Catherine Ann, 9; Willoughby, 5; and Henry, 5 months when the census was recorded on 9 Aug 1850. Jonas' real estate was valued at $1000.
3. He appeared on the census in 1860 in Lowhill Twp., Lehigh, PA. 16 The 1860 census recorded 3 Knerr families living as neighbors.
4. He appeared on the census in 1870 in Lowhill Twp., Lehigh, PA. 17 The 1870 Census lists Jonas Knerr, age 55, occupation shoemaker. Living with him is his wife, Susanna (50); Catherine (28); Willoby (24), occupation shoemaker; and Henry (20), occupation shoemaker.
5. He appeared on the census in 1880 in Lowhill Twp., Lehigh, PA. 9 The 1880 Census lists Jonas Knerr, farmer, age 65. Living with him is his wife, Susan (60); his granddaughter, Laura Heller (16); a servant Mary Barner (12); and a servant Isabella Handwerk (16). The census listing records that Jonas' father and mother and Susan's mother and father were all born in Prussia! This is true of her parents, but other research indicates Jonas' parents were born in Pennsylvania. Perhaps the census taker wrote it for both by mistake?
6. Occupation: farmer in 1880. 9
7. Book: The History of the Counties of Lehigh & Carbon, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, 1884. 18
8. Newspaper: Allentown Democrat: "Died. On the 4th inst., in Lowhill, JONAS KNERR, aged 80 years, 1 month and 1 day.", 9 Jan 1895, Allentown, Lehigh, PA. 13
9. Obituary: Allentown Morning Call: Obituary of Jonas Knerr on 9 Jan 1895 in Allentown, Lehigh, PA. 7 Jonas Knerr, of Lowhill, will be buried at the Morgenland Church cemetery to-morrow, was 80 years, 1 month, 1 day old. Three children survive: E. H. Knerr, of Lowhill, Willoughby of near Cetronia, and Katie Heller of the late Jacob B. Heller. The later resided with the deceased. He has one brother, Alvin Knerr, who survives him, and one sister, Mrs. Mary Heilman wife of Moses Heilman, of this city.
10. Book: Anniversary History of Lehigh County, Volume II, 1914. 19
Jonas married Susanna Muehlhausen, daughter of Johan Heinrich Muehlhausen and Anna Kunigunda, on 5 Feb 1839 in Lowhill Twp., Lehigh, PA. (Susanna Muehlhausen was born on 7 Oct 1819 in North Whitehall Twp., Lehigh, PA 20, christened on 14 Nov 1819 in North Whitehall Twp.: Egypt Reformed Church, Lehigh, PA,20 21 22 died on 16 Nov 1893 in Lowhill Twp., Lehigh, PA 10 11 12 23 24 and was buried on 21 Nov 1893 in Leather Corner Post: Morgenland Church Cemetery, Lehigh, PA 12 23 24.)
1 Ancestry.com I324.
2 Find A Grave, http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=97694482.
3 Schlosser's Church, North Whitehall Township, Lehigh, Pennsylvania (http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~palehigh/Schlosserschurch.html).
4 Ancestry.com, Pennsylvania, Death Certificates, 1906-1966 (Original data: Pennsylvania (State). Death certificates, 1906–1966. Series 11.90 (1,905 cartons). Records of the Pennsylvania Department of Health, Record Group 11. Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.), Death Certificate 6240. Caherine Knerr. Father Jonas Knerr. Mother Susan Muehlhauss.
5 Allentown Democrat (Allentown, Lehigh, Pennsylvania), 22 Nov 1893, page 2. Obituary of Susan Knerr.
6 The Allentown Leader (Allentown, PA) (Allentown, Lehigh, Pennsylvania), 30 Apr 1909, page 1. Death of E. Henry Knerr.
7 Morning Call (Allentown, PA), 9 Jan 1895, page 1.
8 Morning Call (Allentown, PA), 1 May 1909, page 7. Obituary of E. Henry Knerr.
9 1880 United States Census, FHL Film 1255147; National Archives Film T9-1147; Page 603B.
10 Morganland Church Cemetery Listing (http://www.grammesgenealogy.com/morganland_cem.htm).
John Richard Knarr, Ph.D, Abraham Knoerr and Maria Eva Faess: European Roots & the New Land (Copyright 1998
John Richard Knarr, Ph.D.
P.O. Box 306
N. Manchester, IN 46962
phone: 219/982-7219; 982-2678 fax: 219/982-6129
12 Knerr, Katie Isabelle, Notes of Katie Isabelle Knerr (Handwritten notes of her family history, in possession of her daughter, Isabel Beacher.).
13 Allentown Democrat (Allentown, Lehigh, Pennsylvania), 9 Jan 1985, page 3. Death of Jonas Knerr.
14 1840 United States Census, Pennsylvania, Lehigh County, Roll 469 Book 1, Page 243a.
15 1850 United States Census, https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/M4HY-R9S Jonas Knorr, Lowhill, Lehigh, Pennsylvania, United States; citing family 120, NARA microfilm publication M432.
16 1860 United States Census, Year: 1860; Census Place: Lowhill, Lehigh, Pennsylvania; Roll: M653_1130; Page: 151; Image: 156; Family History Library Film: 805130.
17 1870 United States Census, Pennsylvania, Lehigh County, Lowhill Township, Page 22.
18 History of the counties of Lehigh and Carbon, in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia: Everts & Richards, 1884, 934 pgs.), Lowhill Township, Chapter XXV, written with E. H. Knerr, Esq., pages 288-289.
19 Roberts, Charles Rhodes, History Of Lehigh County, Pennsylvania, Volume II (Allentown, Pa., Lehigh Valley Pub. Co., 1914. 3 volumes, illustrated, maps. Prepared by a committee appointed by the Lehigh County Historical Society; chapters contributed by various writers.), Pages 704-711. Knerr Family genealogy.
20 Montgomery, Thomas Lynch, editor, Pennsylvania Archives: Sixth Series (Harrisburg, Pennsylvania State printer, 1906-1907.), Egypt Reformed Church, Page 93.
21 The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, "FamilySearch," database, FamilySearch (http://new.familysearch.org : accessed 20 Apr 2013), entry for Susanna Milhouse, person ID L8BL-VDK.
22 Montgomery, Thomas Lynch, editor, Pennsylvania Archives: Sixth Series (Harrisburg, Pennsylvania State printer, 1906-1907.), Volume 6, Part 1.
23 Find A Grave, http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=97694637.
24 Allentown Democrat (Allentown, Lehigh, Pennsylvania), 22 Nov 1893, page 2.