William Brown Guthrie 1
- Born: 9 Jun 1772, , Franklin, PA 1
- Marriage: Isabella Sterrett on 22 Apr 1800 in Mercersburg: Upper West Conococheague Presbyterian Church, Franklin, PA
- Died: 20 Jan 1822, Mercersburg, Franklin, PA at age 49 2
Noted events in his life were:
1. Book: American Guthrie and allied families, 1933. 3
William Brown Guthrie, according to the record preserved by his descendants, was born June 9, 1772, presumably in what is now Franklin County, Pa., and is thought to have been reared in the same locality, at least in part. There are numerous instances where his name is found in Franklin County records. He was a silversmith and clock maker of Mercersburg. Several old grandfather clocks having wooden wheels, in Mercersburg, Chambersburg and surrounding country bear his name On the back side of the dial. James Watkins, an old jeweler of Mercersburg, learned his trade of William Guthrie.
He was appointed Post Master of Mercersburg, Jan. 22, 1813, and held the position at the time of his death.
He united with the Presbyterian Church of Mercersburg, then known as the Upper West Conococheague Presbyterian Church, in 1807. He probably belonged previously to the Covenanter Church.
William B. Guthrie married April 22, 1800, Isabella Sterrett, who was born April 20, 1777, the daughter of Cairns Sterrett and Mary Mayes. He died in Mercersburg, Pa., Jan. 20, 1822; his widow, same place, Nov. 24, 1827.
1. Maria Guthrie, lst, b. Oct. 24, 1801; d. Sept. 22, 1803.
2. William Sterrett Guthrie, b. Sept. 9, 1803. "Nov. 4, 1807; Major Guthrie had a child baptized .11 217 He d. unm. Sept. 14, 1824.
3. Otho Darlington Guthrie, b. Aug. 26, 1805. "Dec. 1, 1805; baptized Otho Darlington, child of Captain Guthrie." 217 He d. unm. Sept. 12, 1833; struck by lightning in the Rocky Mountains.
4. Maria Guthrie, 2nd., b. Sept. 13, 1808. (Below)
5. John Mitchell Guthrie, b. Jan. 18, 1811; d. unm., April 21, 1831.
6. Newton Brown Guthrie, b. April 13, 1813. "June 16, 1813; William B. Guthrie bad Newton Brown baptized." 217 (Below)
7. Margaret Guthrie, b. March 7 1816. "Ane 9, 1816; William B. Guthrie had a daughter, Margaret, baptized.
Maria Guthrie, 2nd, (above) married July 31, 1828, William W. Beecher. They made a petition to the Orphans Court of Franklin County, Pa., for a final settlement of the Guthrie estate, which then consisted of a farm of about 65 acres, and a lot adjoining the town of Mercersburg. (Docket Vol. C, of above court, p. 232).
The Beechers moved to Baltimore where he engaged in the drug business.
1. William Gordon Beecher. 2. J. Gregg Beecher. 3. Margaret Sterrett Beecher. 4. Marion Beecher. 5. Eusebia Beecher.
William married Isabella Sterrett, daughter of Cairns Sterrett and Mary Mayes, on 22 Apr 1800 in Mercersburg: Upper West Conococheague Presbyterian Church, Franklin, PA. (Isabella Sterrett was born on 20 Apr 1777 and died on 24 Nov 1827 in Mercersburg, Franklin, PA.)