Adam Diehl
(Between 1756/1764-)
Marie
Solomon Diehl Sr.
(1782-1865)

 

Family Links

Spouses/Children:
1. Susanna Zimmerman

2. Anna Elisabeth Siegfried

Solomon Diehl Sr. 1 2 3 4

  • Born: 10 May 1782, Lowhill Twp., Lehigh, PA 2 4 5 6
  • Marriage (1): Susanna Zimmerman
  • Marriage (2): Anna Elisabeth Siegfried
  • Died: 19 Feb 1865, Lowhill Twp., Lehigh, PA at age 82 2 4 5 6
  • Buried: Leather Corner Post: Morgenland Church Cemetery, Lehigh, PA 2 4 5 6
picture

bullet  Noted events in his life were:

• Religion: Fogelsville Reformed Congregation. 2

• Tax List: Adam Diehl, Solomon Diehl, 1812, Lowhill Twp., Lehigh, PA. 7

• Census, 1820, Lowhill Twp., Lehigh, PA. 8 In Solomon Diehl's household:
Males (born)
Under 10 (1811-1820) = 1 son
10-15 (1805-1810) = 2 sons
26-44 (1776-1794) = 1 father Solomon
Females (born)
26-44 (1776-1794) = 1 wife

• Census, 1840, Lowhill Twp., Lehigh, PA.

• Census, 1850, Lowhill Twp., Lehigh, PA. 9 The 1850 census recorded several Diehl families as neighors, everyone born in Pennsylvania...

Solomon Diehle, farmer, 68, was living with Ann, 44; Jesse, farmer, 30; Eli, mason, 25; Solomon, mason, 23; Uriah, laborer, 18; Syllasty, 13; and Matilda, 6.

Next door is Jonathan Diehl, farmer, 40; Prisylla, 30; Mazetta, 9; Griff E P, 7; Elmira, 3.

Next door is Jonas Diehl, shoemaker, 28; Deborah, 28; son Bennville, 7; Benjamin, 6; Carolina, 4; Thomas, 2; John Diehl, laborer, 63; Catharina, 56.

• Religion: Morgenland Church: Solomon Diehl was a trustee, 13 Apr 1857, Leather Corner Post, Lehigh, PA. 10 The Morgenland Church. - This church stands upon an elevation in the southeastern corner of Lowhill township, Lehigh Co., a spot known long ago as the "Leather-Corner Post," surrounded on all sides by small valleys, through which the Jordan flows at a distance of a mile from the church.

The church has from its beginning been a Union Church. Reformed and Lutherans, divided and independent in faith and teachings, have yet equal and common right to all the church lands, church buildings, and the churchyard, and make free, undisturbed use of them together.

The organization of the church is of recent date. Members of the Lowhill, Union, Jordan, Ziegel, and Fogelsville congregations united, selecting this spot upon which to erect a house of worship, which should be nearer their homes and more convenient for them and their families.

On the 4th of April, 1857, a meeting was held for the purpose of selecting a site for a church and cemetery, which resulted in the selection of a piece of ground owned by Daniel Sechler for the location of the church building, and of an adjoining tract, owned by Jacob Georg and Reuben Krauss, for a graveyard. The title to these tracts was afterwards secured through proper deeds.

Another meeting was held on the 13th of April following, at which it was resolved to begin the erection of a building without delay, and to organize the congregation by electing a consistory. This election resulted as follows: On the Reformed side: for elders, Jonas Mertz, Solomon Hamm; for deacons, Franklin Fritzinger, Gideon Haaf, Daniel Sechler, Levi Haas; for trustee, Solomon Diehl. On the Lutheran side: for elders, John Weida, Daniel Claus; for deacons, Benjamin Weida, George Klotz, Reuben Deibert, Peter Ertel; for trustee, David Heilman; for treasurer, Reuben Krauss.

At the same time the following were chosen as a building committee: By the Reformed, Simon P. Mimnich, Jonathan Diehl; by the Lutherans, Jesse Klotz, Michael Deibert. The work of construction was immediately begun, and proceeded so rapidly that by the 23rd of August of that year (1857) everything was prepared for the laying of the corner-stone. This was done on that day, with services held by Revs. J. S. Dubs and William A. Helffrich, who were invited for that purpose.

On the 31st of August, 1858, the dedicatory services were held, Revs. Joseph S. Dubs, Jeremiah Schindel, and William Rath leading. The church is of brick, and is constructed in modern style, and provided with every necessary convenience.

The congregation also provided itself with an organ, which was dedicated in 1870, the pastors, Revs. Fogel and Leopold, preaching.

By 1871, the old graveyard was well filled up, and a piece of ground on the opposite side of the street was laid out in regular lots for a cemetery. It was dedicated in 1871 by Rebs. Fogel and Leopold.

The Reformed ministers of the congregation thus far have been: (1) Joseph S. Dubs, who was chosen the first pastor in 1857; (2) Joseph H. Dubs, who served from _______ to 1867; (3) E. J. Fogel, chosen in 1867.

The Lutheran ministers have been: (1) Jeremiah Schindel, from 1857 to ___; (2) William Rath; (3) Owen Leopold.

• Census, 1860, Lowhill Twp., Lehigh, PA. 11 Solomon (age 68) is the head of the household consisting of Anna E (53), Ann (16), Uriah S. (27), and Alfred Seipel (14). All are listed as being born in Pennsylvania.

• Occupation: farmer, 1860. 2

• Book: Anniversary History of Lehigh County published, 1914. 12 There were two Diehl families that settled at an early date in Lehigh county. Daniel Diehl who came from Upper Caucon and settled on the Lehigh mountain, and the family of Adam Diehl, who lived in Lowhill township.

Solomon Diehl, a son of Adam, was born in Lowhill Township. He was a weaver and at the same time farmed a small tact of land. His homestead was later owned by Benjamin Kressly.

He was a member of the Fogelsville Reformed Congregation. He was buried at Morgenland Church, and his first wife, nee Zimmerman, is buried at Ziegel's Church. Issue: Jessie, Jonas, and Benjamin.

Mr. Diehl was married the second time to Anna Siegfried, and they had three children; Elias, Solomon, Uriah, Celsta (Mrs. Irwin Stahler) and Matilda.


picture

Solomon married Susanna Zimmerman. (Susanna Zimmerman was born about 1785 in , , PA and was buried in Weisenberg Twp.: Ziegel's Church, Lehigh, PA.)


picture

Solomon next married Anna Elisabeth Siegfried, daughter of Peter Siegfried and Susanna. (Anna Elisabeth Siegfried was born on 27 Mar 1807 in Whitehall Twp., Lehigh, PA 13 14 15, christened on 6 Apr 1807 in North Whitehall Twp.: Egypt Reformed Church, Lehigh, PA,14 died in 1857 in Whitehall Twp., Lehigh, PA 2 15 and was buried in Leather Corner Post: Morgenland Church Cemetery, Lehigh, PA 2 15.)


picture

Sources


1 Jordan Reformed Church, Whitehall Township, Lehigh County, Pennsylvania.

2 LeVan, Russell George, Early Immigrants from Germany and Switzerland to Eastern Pennsylvania (Gateway Press Inc, Baltimore, 1990), Page 261.

3 Bible of Elias Diehl, http://boards.ancestry.com/thread.aspx?mv=flat&m=381&p=surnames.diehl.

4 Find A Grave, http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=41468463.

5 Morganland Church Cemetery Listing (http://www.grammesgenealogy.com/morganland_cem.htm).

6 Knerr, Katie Isabelle, Notes of Katie Isabelle Knerr (Handwritten notes of her family history, in possession of her daughter, Isabel Beacher.).

7 History of the counties of Lehigh and Carbon, in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia: Everts & Richards, 1884, 934 pgs.), Page 292.

8 1800 United States Census, Pennsylvania, Lehigh County, Roll 104 Book 1, Page 172.

9 1850 United States Census, Year: 1850; Census Place: Lowhill, Lehigh, Pennsylvania; Roll: M432_792; Page: 394B; Image: 786.

10 History of the counties of Lehigh and Carbon, in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia: Everts & Richards, 1884, 934 pgs.), Page 295.

11 1860 United States Census.

12 Roberts, Charles Rhodes, History Of Lehigh County, Pennsylvania, Volume II (Allentown, Pa., Lehigh Valley Pub. Co., 1914. 3 volumes, illustrated, maps. Prepared by a committee appointed by the Lehigh County Historical Society; chapters contributed by various writers.), Page 251, "Diehl Family".

13 1850 United States Census.

14 Pennsylvania Archives, Volume 6, Egypt Reformed Church Records 1734-1807 (http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/pa/lehigh/church/egyp0001.txt
http://www.geocities.com/gragor99/lehegypt.htm
"Baptismal Record of the congregation on the Lehigh, in which are recorded the names of the children baptized, the names of their parents, and also the names of the sponsors. Commenced March 22, 1739."
J. Henricus Goetschius, M. Helvetico Tigurinus.).

15 Find A Grave, http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=41468483.