|John B. Becher
Noted events in his life were:
1. Census: 1840, Leacock Twp., Lancaster, PA. 8 In the 1840 Census Manuel Becher is listed with this household:
2. Census: 1850, Earl Twp., Lancaster, PA. 3 Emanuel Becher, carpenter, 74, was with wife Elloner, 67; and daughter Emma, 34. Emanuel's real estate was valued at $700. With them was probably Emanuel's son, John Becher, tailor, 23; his wife, Ann, 22; and Eliza, 1. Elloner was born in Maryland, the others in Pennsylvania.
3. Bible: The family bible of John Becher (1806-1906) was for sale on EBay on 2 Oct 2013 and Jimmy Kerr graciously provided the following from the bible., 1851, Annville, Lebanon, PA. Holy Bible Old and New Testaments together with The Apocrypha Canne's Marginal Notes and Ref.
4. Census: 1860, Earl Twp., Lancaster, PA. 9 John Becker [handwriting could be Becher], master tailor, 33, was married to wife Ann, 32. Living with them: Eliza, 11; Emanuel, 8; Emma, 4; Henry, 3; John, 10 months when the census was recorded on 15 Jun 1860. Also in the home is Elizabeth Meixel, 45, who has real estate valued at $550 and possessions worth $50. Since John has no real estate value, this implies he was living in Elizabeth Meixel's home.
5. John Becker, tailor, 43, had a household that included daughter Mary Becker, 25; Amos Mull, 7; and Benjamin Beacher, 8. All were born in Pennsylvania. John had no real estate of value, and his possessions were worth $200. 10 John Becher, tailor, 43, was married to Mary, 25. Living will them was Amos Mull, 7; and Benjamin Beacher, 8. Everyone was born in Pennsylvania. John had no real estate of value, and his possessions were worth $200. The post office was Gap.
6. Census: 1880, Reading, Berks, PA. 11 John Becher, saloon keeper, 54, was living with wife Elizabeth, 63; and John, founder, 23. Everyone and their parents were born in Pennsylvania.
7. Census: 1900, Earl Twp., Lancaster, PA. 12 Living on Diller Avenue in New Holland in 1900, John B. Becher, tailor, 73, born Oct 1826, was married for 37 years to wife Mary E., nurse, 54, born Jun 1845. She had given birth to 8 children, 6 still alive in 1900. In their home: Garfield, farm laborer, 19, Jan 1881; Daniel, laborer, 16, Aug 1883; and Charles, laborer, 14, Mar 1886. Everyone was born in Pennsylvania, as was their parents, except John's father was from Germany and his mother from Ireland.
8. Cause of Death: softening of brain, 7 Jul 1906, New Holland, Lancaster, PA. 6
9. Occupation: tailor, 7 Jul 1906, New Holland, Lancaster, PA. 6
John married Anna Elizabeth Stouffer on 5 Feb 1849 in , Lancaster, PA.1 (Anna Elizabeth Stouffer was born on 6 Mar 1827 in , , PA,3 4 died on 23 Feb 1865 in , Lancaster, PA 1 4 and was buried in New Holland: Zeltenreich Reformed Church, Lancaster, PA 4 13.)
John next married Mary Elizabeth Mimm, daughter of Jacob Mimm and Charlotte Caffrey, on 22 Jan 1867 in , Lancaster, PA.1 (Mary Elizabeth Mimm was born on 26 Jun 1845 in , , PA,1 4 10 14 15 died on 24 May 1915 in , Lancaster, PA 1 4 14 and was buried in New Holland: Zeltenreich Reformed Church, Lancaster, PA 4 14.)
1 Family Bible of John Becher (1826-1906).
2 Trinity Lutheran Church, New Holland, Lebanon County, Pennsylvania (Note: Some very early records that appear in this church register were from Muddy Creek Lutheran Church in Brecknock Township, before the congregation moved to New Holland.).
3 1850 United States Census, Pennsylvania, Lancaster County, Earl Township, Series: M432 Roll: 789 Page: 204.
4 Catalogue of Zeltenreich cemetery, containing a short history of the cemetery along with a family index and a related family index (FamilySearch.org Family History Library Microfilm 0020363 Item 12.).
The Gospel Herald (The Mennonite Church USA Archives, Scottdale, PA.
Online at http://www.mcusa-archives.org/MennObits/), Volume LXII, Number 44 - November 11, 1969, page 1000. Obituary of James Garfield Becher.
6 Ancestry.com, Pennsylvania, Death Certificates, 1906-1963 (Original data: Pennsylvania (State). Death certificates, 1906–1963. Series 11.90 (1,905 cartons). Records of the Pennsylvania Department of Health, Record Group 11. Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.), Death Certificate 64476. John Becher. Father Emanuel Becher. Mother Ellen Chesney.
7 Find A Grave, http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=50709171.
8 1840 United States Census, Pennsylvania, Lancaster County, Leacock Township, Series: M704 Roll: 467 Page: 449.
9 1860 United States Census, Pennsylvania, Lancaster County, Earl Township, Series: M653 Roll: 1122 Page: 120.
10 1870 United States Census, Pennsylvania, Lancaster County, Salisbury Township, Series: M593 Roll: 1359 Page: 301.
11 1880 United States Census, Pennsylvania, Berks County, Reading Ward 4, Series: T9 Roll: 1101 Page: 153.
12 1900 United States Census, Pennsylvania, Lancaster County, Earl Township, Series: T623 Roll: 1425 Page: 274.
13 Find A Grave, http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=50709295&.
14 Find A Grave, http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=50709130.
15 1850 United States Census, https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/M4HP-CQ6 : accessed 03 Oct 2013), Jacob Mimm, 1850.