|Alfred Beacher Sr.
Noted events in his life were:
1. Census in 1900 in Mahanoy Twp., Schuylkill, PA. 9 The 1900 census recorded renting a home: William Beecher, day laborer, 54, born Aug 1846, living with wife Priscilla, 47, Jan 1853; son Nathan, day laborer, 14, Jul 1885; son John, 12, Jul 1888; son Alfred, 8, Jan 1892; and daughter Laura, 6, Aug 1894. William and Priscilla were married for 17 years and she had birthed 10 children, 8 still alive in 1900 (some of these were by her first marriage.) The parents could read but not write. Everyone and their parents were born in Pennsylvania. Their census was recorded 8 Jun 1900.
2. He attended school at Sent to school for fatherless boys on 16 Feb 1901 in Scotland, Franklin, PA. 3 25 When William Beacher died, his children were eligible to be sent to schools for fatherless boys because he was a Civil War solider. According to genealogist Bruce Beacher who gathered information from Alfred Beacher, Alfred said he and his brother John Jacob were raised in Scotland, Pa. in an orphanage.
3. Court: John Jacob, Laura and Alfred Beacher were appointed a guardian, Joseph T. Lyons on 13 Apr 1903 in Pottsville, Schuylkill, PA. 26 Orphan's Court Dockets.
4. Newspaper: Miner's Journal: Guardian Appointed for Beacher Children, 14 Apr 1903, Pottsville, Schuylkill, PA. 27 On motion of Wm. F. Lyons court appointed Joseph T. Lyons guardian of Laura, Alford and John Jacob Beacher, minor children of Wm. Beacher. Three bonds in the sum of $300 each with Wm. F. Lyons as surety, were approved.
5. Military from 8 Feb 1912 to 7 Feb 1915 in New Rochelle: Fort Slocum, Westchester, NY, USA: U.S. Army. 28 Name: Alfred Beacher
6. Newspaper: Republican and Herald: The engagement of Miss Emma Beecroft to Alfred Beacher, of Leavenworth, Kansas, is announced. The wedding will take place at the home of the bride in February., 28 Dec 1915, Pottsville, Schuylkill, PA. 29
7. Military on 14 Jun 1917 in Cleveland, Cuyahoga, OH: World War I Enlistment. 23 Alfred Beacher
8. Newspaper: Evening Herald: Arrived "Over There": Word was received in town this morning that Alfred Beacher, a member of company K, 140th U. S. Infantry, had arrived safely on the shores of France., 10 May 1918, Shenandoah, Schuylkill, PA. 30
9. Newspaper: Pittsburgh Press: Late Casualty List Has 2,072 Names: Wounded Slightly: Corporals: Cook Alfred Beacher, Cleveland, O., 12 Dec 1918, Pittsburgh, Allegheny, PA. 31
10. Newspaper: Washington Post: Americans Killed And Wounded In Fighting On the French Front: Slightly Wounded: Cooks: Beacher, Alfred, Cleveland, Ohio, 12 Dec 1918, Washington, District of Columbia, DC, USA. 32
11. Newspaper: Evening Herald: Alfred Beacher in New York Hospital, 8 Feb 1919, Shenandoah, Schuylkill, PA. 33 John Beacher, of East Penn street, yesterday received a letter from his brother, Alfred Beacher, to the effect that he had arrived safely in this country Jan. 31 from overseas and is now receiving treatment at the U. S. Debarkation hospital No. 5, Grand Central Palace, Ward A., fourth floor, New York City. Mr. Beacher enlisted at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, at the outbreak of the war with Germany, and has been in France since April of last year. He was wounded in action September 28, 1917, and since that time has been an inmate of a hospital. He is well known in town and his host of friends will be pleased to learn that he has returned safely to his native land.
12. Military on 8 Mar 1919 in , , PA: Discharge. Medals: Purple Heart. Grade: Cook, Army, Co. K. 140Th Infantry. 15
13. Residence: on 26 Mar 1919 in Pittsburgh, Allegheny, PA. 17
14. Census in 1920 in North Braddock, Allegheny, PA. 34 Alfred Beacher, occupation oiler in engine company, 27, was living with wife Emma, 21; and son Jack, 2 years 9 months. Jack was born in Ohio, the parents and their parents in Pennsylvania.
15. Census in 1930 in Clementon, Camden, NJ. 35 The 1930 census in Clementon recorded Alfred Beacher, 37, living with wife Emma J., 30; John C., 12; Lillian A., 9; Alfred R., 7; William, 5; Henry, 3; and Richard G., 0. Everyone was born in Pennsylvania except John in Ohio and Alfred R. in Delaware.
16. Newspaper: The Morning News: Mr. And Mrs. Alfred Beacher are receiving congratulations on the birth of a son last night at their home near Woodland., 28 Jul 1937, Wilmington, New Castle, DE. 36
17. Census in 1940 in Lewes, Sussex, DE. 37 The 1940 census recorded living the home at 115 Woodland: Alfred Beacher, 48, living with wife Emma J., 40; John C., 23; Lillian A. Evans, 20; Alfred R., 17; William, 15; Henry W., 13; and Richard G., 11, Lura M., 7, and Joseph L., 2. Everyone was born in Pennsylvania except John and Lura in Ohio and Alfred R. in Delaware. Also in their home was Laban Evans, son in law, 23, born in Maryland, and granddaughter Reida V. Evans, 2 and grandson Alfred J. T. Evans, 0, both born in Delaware. In 1935, the census reports they were living in Burton, Geauga, Ohio.
18. Newspaper: The Morning News: Ad: For Sale: 5 ROOM HOUSE Fair condition, 1 acre. Planted, 4 miles south of Seaford, on road to Nylon plant. Will sell cheap. Alfred Beacher, Woodland., 5 Jul 1940, Wilmington, New Castle, DE. 38
19. He was described as White, 6' tall, 189 pounds, gray eyes, brown hair, ruddy complexion on 26 Apr 1942 in Sudlersville, Queen Anne's, MD, USA. 10
20. Residence: on 26 Apr 1942 in Sudlersville, Queen Anne's, MD, USA. 10
21. Residence: Route 1, Sudlersville, MD on 7 May 1945 in Sudlersville, Queen Anne's, MD, USA. 39
22. Residence: in 1960 in Newark, New Castle, DE. 40
23. Military on 2 Jul 1963 in , , PA: Application for Military Tombstone. 41 Headstone Application Form for Military Headstone
24. Obituary: The Morning News: obituary of Alfred Beacher on 3 Jul 1963 in Wilmington, New Castle, DE. 42 BEACHER In V.A. Hospital, Perry Point, Maryland, on June 30. 1963. Alfred, husband of Mrs. Emma Jane Beacher of near Elkton. Maryland, father of John C., Alfred R., Henry W., Sgt. Richard G., Joseph L., James W., Mrs. Lillian Evans, Mrs. Lura Parsons, Mrs. Susanna Bello, brother of Mrs. Laura Parsons. Aged 71 years. Relatives and friends are invited to attend the funeral from the PIPPIN FUNERAL HOME, 2 E. Main St., Elkton, Md. on Wednesday morning, July 3 at 11:00 o'clock. Interment at Templeville Maryland Cemetery.
Alfred married Emma Jane Beecroft, daughter of William Robinson Beecroft Sr. and Elizabeth Isabella Kay, on 18 Jan 1916 in West Hazleton, Luzerne, PA.1 (Emma Jane Beecroft was born on 11 Jun 1899 in Shenandoah, Schuylkill, PA,1 3 4 20 43 44 died on 23 Dec 1977 in Elkton, Cecil, MD 4 5 43 and was buried on 28 Dec 1977 in Templeville: Templeville Cemetery, Caroline, MD 4 5 13 43.)
1 FamilySearch.org, Pennsylvania, County Marriages, 1885 - 1950, https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KMCB-N7S Priscilla Derrick in entry for Alfred Beacher and Emma Beecroft, 1916.
2 (http://files.usgwarchives.net/pa/1pa/xmisc/orphansl-y.txt), http://freepages.genealogy.roostweb.com/~orphanshome.
3 Beacher, Bruce Franklin, Beau-Chere, The Beacher Family Newsletter, Issue 1 Jun 1978.
4 Templeville Cemetery, Templeville, Caroline County, Maryland.
5 Social Security Death Index, Death record for Fred G. Gibbons.
6 Find A Grave, http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=5296716.
7 Cecil Daily (Elkton, MD), 8 Feb 2104, obituary of Richard G. Beacher.
8 Cecil Daily (Elkton, MD), 31 Dec 2009, obituary of James W. Beacher.
9 1900 United States Census, Pennsylvania, Schuylkill County, Mahanoy Township, Series: T623 Roll: 1483 Page: 253. https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/M34Q-P7Q .
10 FamilySearch.org, United States World War II Draft Registration Cards, 1942, https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:F3Z1-M2S Alfred Beacher.
11 Ancestry.com, U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007 (Original data: Social Security Applications and Claims, 1936-2007.), John Charles Beacher, SSN 222090145.
12 Ancestry.com, Pennsylvania, Wills and Probate Records, 1683-1993, PA > Schuylkill County. Will Book 12, Page 580. Online image 326. Priscilla Beacher.
13 The Morning News (Wilmington, DE), 28 Dec 1977, page 7. Obituary of Emma J. Beacher.
14 The Morning News (Wilmington, DE), 3 Jul 1963, page 17. Obituary of Alfred Beacher.
15 Ancestry.com, U.S., Headstone Applications for Military Veterans, 1925-1963 (Original data: Applications for Headstones for U.S. Military Veterans, 1925-1941. Microfilm publication M1916, 134 rolls. ARC ID: 596118. Records of the Office of the Quartermaster General, Record Group 92. National Archives at Washington, D.C.Applications for Headstones, compiled 01/01/1925 - 06/30/1970, documenting the period ca. 1776 - 1970 ARC: 596118. Records of the Office of the Quartermaster General, 1774–1985, Record Group 92. National Archives and Records Administration, Washington, D.C.), Alfred (no middle initial) Beacher. Service Number 1461063.
16 Parsell Funeral Home (Lewes, Sussex, Delaware), http://www.parsellfuneralhomes.com/obituaries/Lura-Parsons/.
17 The Evening Herald (Shenandoah, PA), 26 Mar 1919, page1. Obituary of John Beacher.
18 Hazleton Standard-Speaker, Hazleton, PA (Hazleton, Luzerne County, Pennsylvania), 27 Dec 1977, obituary of Emma J. Beacher.
20 U.S. Social Security Death Index.
21 1900 United States Census, Pennsylvania, Schuylkill County, Mahanoy Township, Series: T623 Roll: 1483 Page: 253.
22 World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918 (Ancestry.com. World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2005. Original data: United States, Selective Service System. World War I Selective Service System Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration. M1509, 4,582 rolls.), National Archives and Records Administration (NARA); Washington, D.C; State Headquarters: Maryland; Microfilm Series: M1939; Microfilm Roll: 3. Registration of Alfred Beacher, Snow Hill, MD. Draft Card Serial # U 362.
23 United States World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918, https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/K6F6-3H6 Alfred Beacher, 1917-1918.
24 Ancestry.com, Ohio Military Men, 1917-18 (Original data: Official Roster of Ohio Soldiers, Sailors and Marines in the World War, 1917-1918. Vol. I-XXIII. Columbus, OH, USA: F. J. Heer Printing Co., 1926.).
Wm. Stanley Ray, State Printer of Pennsylvania, Annual Report of the Pennsylvania Commission of Soldiers' Orphan Schools (State of Pennsylvania, Harrisburg, 1905.
http://searches.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/ifetch2?/u1/data/pa+index+31918244740+F), For the Year Ending May 31, 1904.
26 FamilySearch.org, Pennsylvania, Probate Records, 1683-1994 (Images of court probate book pages online at https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1999196 .), https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1971-28854-1452-9?cc=1999196 : Schuylkill > Orphans' Court dockets 1901-1911 vol 29-31 > image 211 of 1018; county courthouses, Pennsylvania.
27 The Miners Journal (Pottsville, PA), 14 Apr 1903, page 1.
28 Fold3.com, Army Register of Enlistments, 1798-1914, Arthur Beacher, 8 Feb 1912.
29 Republican and Herald (Pottsville, PA) (www.republicanherald.com), 28 Dec 1915, page 1.
30 The Evening Herald (Shenandoah, PA), 10 May 1918, page 1.
31 Pittsburgh Press (Pittsburgh, PA), 12 Dec 1918, page 15.
32 Washington Post Newspaper (Washington, D.C.), 12 Dec 1918, page 10.
33 The Evening Herald (Shenandoah, PA), 8 Feb 1919, page 1. Alfred Beacher in New York Hospital.
34 1920 United States Census, Pennsylvania, Allegheny County, North Braddock Ward 3, Series: T625 Roll: 1515 Page: 259.
35 1930 United States Census, https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/X48B-2PL Alfred Beacher, Clementon, Camden, New Jersey; citing enumeration district (ED) 0091, sheet 5A, family 91, NARA microfilm publication T626, roll 1323.
36 The Morning News (Wilmington, DE), 28 Jul 1937, page 6.
37 1940 United States Census, https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/VRZ2-3YT Alfred Beacher, Representative District 3, Sussex, Delaware, United States; citing enumeration district (ED) 3-15B, sheet 5B, family 115, NARA digital publication T627, roll 547.
38 The Morning News (Wilmington, DE), 5 Jul 1940, page 23. Ad to sell Beacher house.
39 Ancestry.com, U.S. WWII Draft Cards Young Men, 1940-1947 (Ancestry.com Operations, Inc.), Henry Ward Beacher, b. 11 May 1927 in Frackville, PA.
40 Beacher, Bruce Franklin, Beau-Chere, The Beacher Family Newsletter, Issue 1 Sep 1978.
41 Ancestry.com, Applications for Headstones for U.S. military veterans, 1925-1941 (National Archives Microfilm Publication: A1, 2110-C; Record Group Title: Records of the Office of the Quartermaster General; Record Group Number: 92.), Headstone application for Alfred Beacher, 1963.
42 The Morning News (Wilmington, DE), 2 Jul 1963, pages 8-9. Also 3 Jul 1963, page 17. Obituary of Alfred Beacher.
43 Find A Grave, http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=5296717.
44 1900 United States Census, https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/M34W-DFM Emma Jane Beecroft in entry for Bella Beecroft, 1900.