|Evelyn Ruth Beacher
Noted events in her life were:
1. She appeared on the census in 1910 in Shenandoah, Schuylkill, PA. 9 10 The 1910 census recorded owning the home and candy store at 35 North Main Street: Benjamin F Beacher, confectionery merchant, 33, living with wife Bertha, 25; daughter Ruth, 4; and son Paul, 1. Also in the home was his father Benjamin Beacher, Sr., 65, and Cora Smith, an 18-year-old servant. Everyone and their parents were born in Pennsylvania.
2. Newspaper: Allentown Morning Call: E. Ruth Beacher Honor Student of Boston Conservatory, 19 Jun 1927, Allentown, Lehigh, PA. 11 HONOR STUDENT OF BOSTON CONSERVATORY
3. Newspaper: Allentown Morning: Ad for music teacher E. Ruth Beacher, 2 Sep 1927, Allentown, Lehigh, PA. 12 Situations Wanted Ads
4. She worked as an orangist, Grace Evangelical Congreational Church on 9 Mar 1929 in Allentown, Lehigh, PA. 13
5. Newspaper: Allentown Morning Call: Miss Beacher to Give Organ Recital Sunday, 5 Oct 1929, Allentown, Lehigh, PA. 14 MISS BEACHER TO GIVE ORGAN RECITAL SUNDAY
6. She appeared on the census in 1930 in Allentown, Lehigh, PA. 10 15 The 1930 Census in Allentown recorded Benjamin F. Beacher, age 53, living with his wife, Bertha P., 45; daughter Ruth E., 24, occupation piano teacher; and sons B. Donald, 16; John H., 13; Bruce F., 10;, and Robert L., 5.
7. Newspaper: Allentown Morning Call: Piano Pupils Offer Recital, 26 Jan 1930, Allentown, Lehigh, PA. 16 Miss Ruth Beacher, teacher of piano, presented students of her class of beginners and the elementary groups in recital at her home, 224 South Sixteenth street, yesterday. Takmg part were Lida Morrison, Jean Messersmith, Catherine Dierurl, Julia Odenheimer, Hattie Eileen Odenheimer, Ruth Hertz, Frances Leonard, Betty Ward, Ruth Parmet, Betty Brinker, Mary Catherine Wenck, Miriam Snyder, Sylvia Sontag, Anna Seip, Roy Hertz and Bruce Beacher.
8. witnessed the obituary of Alden Kenneth Horn on 24 May 1931 in Allentown, Lehigh, PA: Allentown Morning Call: Ruth Beacher and Alden K. Horn Wed. 17 17 The wedding of Miss E. Ruth Beacher, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Benjamin Beacher, of 224 South Sixteenth street, and organist of Grace E. C. church, and Alden K. Horn, son of Mr. and Mrs. Robert Horn, was solemnized Saturday afternoon at 5.30 o'clock in Grace church. Friends and relatives of the young couple as well as many members of the congregation attended the wedding at which Rev. H. E. Snyder, pastor of the church, officiated with Rev. C. P. Kichline, pastor of Trinity E. C. church, assisting. At 5 o'clock, a half-hour recital was given by Mrs. Pierson, of Bethlehem, organist, and Miss Laura Jones, of this city, vocalist, friends of the bride. Miss Beacher was attired in an Empress Josephine gown of pink baptiste, cut ankle-length with a ruffled skirt. Her picture hat was of a similar shade and she carried an old-fashioned bouquet. The bride was attended by Miss Katherine Hardenstine as maid of honor. Miss Hardenstine's costume was of the same style as Miss Beacher's, but baby blue in color. Her bouquet was sweet peas. Burton Horn, brother of the bridegroom, was the best man, and Donald Beacher, a brother of the bride, and Robert Keck, were ushers. Following the wedding, a dinner was served to sixteen guests at the home of the bride. Afterward the couple left for a week's honeymoon trip, the destination of which they have not revealed. On their return they will receive their many friends at 224 South West street. Miss Beacher is a graduate of Shenandoah High school, class of 1924, and of the New England Conservatory of Music, Boston, Mass., in 1927. She has been teaching piano and serving as organist of Grace church. Mr. Horn graduated from Allentown High school in 1925 and after completing an engineering course in Philadelphia became identified with the Pennsylvania Power and Light company as draftsman.
9. Newspaper: Allentown Morning Call: Beacher Family Entertains, on 30 Jan 1932, in Allentown, Lehigh, PA. 18 18 The Men's Bible class of Grace E. C. church, Fifteenth and Turner streets. Rev. H. E. M. Snyder, pastor, sponsored an unusual supper party and program in the social rooms of the church last evening. It was called a "Family Night" and was attended by almost 100 persons, members of the class with their wives. So successful was the affair that it will be a regular event at intervals throughout the year. John I. Baker, president of the class, was a capable toastmaster during the dinner program, which featured two addresses by William Thomas and Rev. D. G. Reinhold. Mrs. H. C. Pottelger entertained with vocal solos. Following the dinner, there was an entertainment program staged by the Beacher family, which includes: Mr. and Mrs. B. Beacher, Mrs. Ruth Beacher Horn and Donald, John, Bruce and Bobby Beacher. The group formed an orchestra and offered instrumental numbers; there were also a number of songs, piano duets and solos, etc. The program concluded with a demonstration of various types of Indian war dances, performed by the Beacher boys in costume.
10. Cause of Death: Ruth died at Allentown Hospital from cerebral hemorrhage due to essential hypertension., 8 Jul 1956, Allentown, Lehigh, PA. 6
11. She worked as an organist on 8 Jul 1956 in Allentown, Lehigh, PA. 6
12. She resided at 134 S. St. Cloud Street, Allentown, Pa. On 8 Jul 1956 in Allentown, Lehigh, PA. 6
Evelyn married Alden Kenneth Horn, son of Robert William Peter Horn and Kathryn E. Neff, on 23 May 1930 in Allentown, Lehigh, PA.1 2 (Alden Kenneth Horn was born on 16 Oct 1909 in Allentown, Lehigh, PA 3 19 20 21, christened on 10 Jan 1910 in Allentown, Lehigh, PA,3 died on 15 Jan 1979 in Allentown, Lehigh, PA 3 19 20 22 23 and was buried on 19 Jan 1979 in Allentown: Grandview Cemetery, Lehigh, PA 3 20.)
1 Genealogy Research conducted by Bruce Franklin Beacher Ph.D. (1919-2004).
2 FamilySearch.org, Pennsylvania, County Marriages, 1885 - 1950, https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/VF71-522 Benj F Beacher in entry for Alden K Horn and E Ruth Beacher, 23 May 1931; citing Allentown, Lehigh, Pennsylvania, United States, n 53076; FHL microfilm 2080298.
3 Letter from Anne Horn Ettinger, 27 Feb 2004.
4 Schalk, Adolf W. and Hon. D.C. Henning, editors, History of Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania (State Historical Association, 1907. Found in Pennsylvania State Library, R974.863 Sch. 13 V.2), Volume II, pages 44-46.
5 Find A Grave, http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=113810665.
6 Ancestry.com, Pennsylvania, Death Certificates, 1906-1963 (Original data: Pennsylvania (State). Death certificates, 1906–1963. Series 11.90 (1,905 cartons). Records of the Pennsylvania Department of Health, Record Group 11. Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.), Death Certificate 63637. Ruth Horn. Father Benjamin F. Beacher. Mother Bertha Snyder. Spouse Alden K. Horn.
7 Allentown Morning Call (Allentown, PA), 28 Sep 1941, page 21. Marriage Bruce Franklin Beecher and Betty Strayer.
8 Ancestry.com, Pennsylvania, Birth Records, 1906-1908 (Original data: Pennsylvania (State). Birth certificates, 1906–1908. Series 11.89 (50 cartons). Records of the Pennsylvania Department of Health, Record Group 11. Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.), Certificate 43168. Evalyn Beacher. Father Benjamin Beacher. Mother Bertha Patience.
9 1910 United States Census, Year: 1910; Census Place: Shenandoah Ward 2, Schuylkill, Pennsylvania; Roll: T624_1419; Page: 5A; Enumeration District: 0086; FHL microfilm: 1375432.
10 Zitkus, Mae Beacher (15 May 1978 Letter to Bruce Beacher).
11 Allentown Morning Call (Allentown, PA), 19 Jun 1927, page 5.
12 Allentown Morning Call (Allentown, PA), 2 Sep 197, page 31.
13 Allentown Morning Call (Allentown, PA), 9 Mar 1929, page 15.
14 Allentown Morning Call (Allentown, PA), 5 Oct 1929, page 5.
15 1930 United States Census, Enumeration District 37-38 Visit 430 Sheet 17A.
16 Allentown Morning Call (Allentown, PA), 26 Jan 1930, page 5.
17 Allentown Morning Call (Allentown, PA), 24 May 1931, page 5. Wedding of Ruth Beacher and Alden Horn.
18 Allentown Morning Call (Allentown, PA), 30 Jan 1932, page 7.
19 U.S. Social Security Death Index.
20 Find A Grave, http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=113811165.
21 1910 United States Census, Year: 1910; Census Place: Allentown Ward 13, Lehigh, Pennsylvania; Roll: T624_1364; Page: 7A; Enumeration District: 0162; FHL microfilm: 1375377.
22 Beacher, Bruce Franklin, Beau-Chere, The Beacher Family Newsletter, 1 Mar 1979.
23 Hazleton Standard-Speaker, Hazleton, PA (Hazleton, Luzerne County, Pennsylvania), 18 Oct 1990, page 2. Obituary of Mrs. Frances Kline.